VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

Nissan to cut 12,500 jobs as 2Q profit drops 98%...Is Nissan the next Mitsubishi?

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Nissan is THE first Japanese auto maker to have EV (right?). They should make better EV as their "halo car". Cut most of not all sedan, concentrate on hatchback/CUV for cheap, SUV for main/premium and Truck/commercial for work/fleet. Don't bother with NISMO, they are overpriced and no one buy, use the budget for making better regular products first.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I agree with everything you said except the hybrid and EV plan. That is far off in the future, first things first.
Many countries are phasing out conventional gas/diesel-powered vehicles in the next 10-25 years. Since Nissan is a global automaker it needs to be able to meet regulation changes happening in many of these larger car markets. Even in the US California is pushing hard for cleaner emissions and many states have adopted the Carb standards. So designing a platform that can be easily be used for a variety of electric vehicles would be important. Like a compact truck-based on the Nissan Leaf would be a massive seller for fleets for urban areas around the world.
Not unpopular with me; I think you hit the nail on the head. Especially with regards to the Z/GTR not making the rest of the lineup better. Nissan had an awesome lineup in 2002 with no Z, and continued to have a generally ****ty lineup for the 12 years following the launch of the GT-R. I think it's fair to say Nissan is about as textbook of an example demonstrating that halo cars don't work. One has to wonder what would be different with Nissan if they had put the money and resources squandered on the GT-R into keeping the rest of their lineup updated and competitive....
I never understood the halo car obsession many car journalists and car enthusiasts have. Many halo cars end up just become expensive experiments that never turn a profit and just rot on lots. The amount of resources spent on these halo cars could have easily made the rest of a car companies line-up better. Nissan's line-up has gone downhill for sure to the point that they are heavily outclassed in many of the larger vehicle segments. The Titan seems like another example of wasted resources. Nissan needs to focus on the part of the truck market Detroit fails to serve much of the time which are the compact and midsize truck markets.

·
Registered
15,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
Nissan is THE first Japanese auto maker to have EV (right?). They should make better EV as their "halo car".
Good idea, but the US EV sales is declining even further.

Based on automakers' sales reports and our estimates, we report a total of 26,395 plug-in electric vehicles were sold in the U.S. in July, compared to last year's 29,598 and last month's 37,818. We hoped the time would never come that we would have to report a year-over-year U.S. EV sales decrease, but it has arrived.
https://insideevs.com/news/363473/july-2019-ev-sales-recap/

This is despite the miraculous Tesla Model 3 delivery numbers.

·
Registered
26,166 Posts
Not that it adds anything to this thread, but I'm currently in a rental Maxima and it is nicer than I was expecting.
And honestly that part of the problem.

Nissan's brand image is in the dumps and people think of the Kicks or Versa (or Leaf, but mainly for EV people) when they think Nissan... not Maxima, or even Altima all that much.

·
Registered
15,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
And honestly that part of the problem.

Nissan's brand image is in the dumps and people think of the Kicks or Versa (or Leaf, but mainly for EV people) when they think Nissan... not Maxima, or even Altima all that much.
Maxima would be my choice in sport-ish sedan under $30k. Wait, I'd rather a Camry V6 XSE. It's sexier imho.

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts
Not that it adds anything to this thread, but I'm currently in a rental Maxima and it is nicer than I was expecting.
It does add to the thread

I said it before and I'll say it again... the Maxima would work better as an Infiniti. Has a nicer interior than my G37 did, and is at least on the level of the Q50. For people who don't care about tuning or RWD it's a really nice car. I'd get one over an ES any day.

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts
Q40 works fine and has precedent. Too big to be a Q30. Those 2 sentences make no ****ing sense

·
Registered
15,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Q40 works fine and has precedent. Too big to be a Q30. Those 2 sentences make no ****ing sense
Exactly. Somewhere on a unemployment office bench (or a yacht), Johan is laughing his a** off. :p

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
Good idea, but the US EV sales is declining even further.

https://insideevs.com/news/363473/july-2019-ev-sales-recap/

This is despite the miraculous Tesla Model 3 delivery numbers.
This is why I rather Nissan made a better Halo EV (to front as "we have future tech and care about the environment") than making a cheap EV as their bread and butter. Tesla is Apple of the car world and Model 3 is like iPhone XR. Nissan Leaf is like Motorola Z3...

·
Registered
15,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #111 (Edited)
This is why I rather Nissan made a better Halo EV (to front as "we have future tech and care about the environment") than making a cheap EV as their bread and butter. Tesla is Apple of the car world and Model 3 is like iPhone XR. Nissan Leaf is like Motorola Z3...
:D I like how you compared the Leaf to Motorola. :beer:

Nissan does have a few more EV card under their sleeves. But I think US EV market is very soft, and still dominated by Tesla and in its infancy. I would only bring the EV in a Crossover format (to rival Hyundai Kona EV) in US. Leaf having its own bodystyle (unpopular bodystyle in US at that) was a mistake in first place. Just see how well BMW i3 is selling. Americans hate hatchbacks unless it's on an 8" of ground clearance. :p

At any rate, I agree that a Halo EV in a form of a large SUV (EV Murano?) could do wonders for Nissan.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
:D I like how you compared the Leaf to Motorola. :beer:

Nissan does have a few more EV card under their sleeves. But I think US EV market is very soft, and still dominated by Tesla and in its infancy. I would only bring the EV in a Crossover format (to rival Hyundai Kona EV) in US. Leaf having its own bodystyle (unpopular bodystyle in US at that) was a mistake in first place. Just see how well BMW i3 is selling. Americans hate hatchbacks unless it's on an 8" of ground clearance. :p

At any rate, I agree that a Halo EV in a form of a large SUV (EV Murano?) could do wonders for Nissan.
I still think a compact pickup or ute with the Nissan Leaf powertrain would be a game-changer. It would be perfect for fleets and for eco-conscious people that need a truck for work or for outdoors stuff. A crossover based Nissan Leaf would do well. Hatchbacks do not sell well in the US and Nissan needs to expand the Leaf line-up.

·
Registered
15,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I still think a compact pickup or ute with the Nissan Leaf powertrain would be a game-changer. It would be perfect for fleets and for eco-conscious people that need a truck for work or for outdoors stuff. A crossover based Nissan Leaf would do well. Hatchbacks do not sell well in the US and Nissan needs to expand the Leaf line-up.
QFT

·
Registered
547 Posts
Why not just make EVs out of the Titan or Frontier...no one hauls loads in a half-ton anyways and put all the batteries in a split level bed.

I've owned a Titan and is was a decent truck with the right mods and had a lot of power. The dealer would give me various loaners during service and none which I'd ever buy...no soul, thin paint and metal, sucky drivetrains and not much there there.

Leafs are very popular here in the PNW along with Tesla's..ugly they are (Leafs), but people still buy them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate, 2017 Miata RF GT
1,538 Posts
It does add to the thread

I said it before and I'll say it again... the Maxima would work better as an Infiniti. Has a nicer interior than my G37 did, and is at least on the level of the Q50. For people who don't care about tuning or RWD it's a really nice car. I'd get one over an ES any day.
It makes me wonder why Infiniti hasn't done this already. If Lexus can find a home for ~40,000 - 75,000 ESs a year at a 15-20% premium over Camry/Avalon, Infiniti can surely find enough takers for a gussied up Maxima at a premium.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
It makes me wonder why Infiniti hasn't done this already. If Lexus can find a home for ~40,000 - 75,000 ESs a year at a 15-20% premium over Camry/Avalon, Infiniti can surely find enough takers for a gussied up Maxima at a premium.
They did that before- remember the I30/I35?

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts
Why not just make EVs out of the Titan or Frontier...no one hauls loads in a half-ton anyways and put all the batteries in a split level bed.
The Frontier is fine. Saddling the low selling Titan with expensive, depreciation accelerating EV powerplants will just accelerate its demise.

Could be in the works; who knows. Hard to do anything in the midst of a C-suite crisis. But again I think Nissan is in the fortunate positions of having a lot of low cost no brainers like an Infiniti Maxima (or Murano for that matter) to get the company back on track. It's just a matter of making the decisions and committing the resources

·
Premium Member
7,973 Posts
Uber, I hate your posting style, but this earned a LOL

Yes, get ready for $o down, 0%, 0 payments for 36 months on your next Nissan?

101 - 120 of 122 Posts