VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talk about not resting on your laurels.

Autoblog said:
There's no question that Nissan has done some radically impressive things with its GT-R, proving beyond the shred of a doubt that Japan's mainstream automakers can stick it to Europe's elite. But you don't get to where Nissan has gotten with the GT-R by sitting back and letting it grow old. Yokohama's finest spend day and night keeping Godzilla razor-sharp and ready for action. And to that end, they've launched a series of improvements for the latest model.

To say that the updated GT-R represents any sort of major step forward would be a gross exaggeration, but it does pack some new features. Among them are a retuned version of the 3.8-liter twin-turbo V6 that now delivers more power – 542 horsepower instead of 523 – while returning higher efficiency and lower emissions. A recalibrated shift action, new differential lubricants, an even tauter frame, available carbon-ceramic brakes and an available "track pack" for hot-lap enthusiasts are also part of the improvements. Right-hand-drive models get an assymetrical suspension setup to compensate for the weight of the driver and steering column, there's a new Bose sound system and a rearview camera now comes as standard.

The improvements are said to shave an astonishing eight to ten seconds off the GT-R's already impressive Nürburgring lap time and drop the 0-60 time to as little as 2.7 seconds. Now that's what we call progress. Click past the jump for the official video and press release.

Currently, the new model is being rolled out in Japan and Europe – set to debut later this month at the Tokyo Motor Show – but it's probably only a matter of time until we get the improvements Stateside as well, where we expect it will debut soon as the 2013 model. So stay tuned. In the meantime, you can check out the huge batch of fresh high-resolution images and follow the jump for the video clip and Euro-spec press release.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/07/nissan-releases-updated-542hp-gt-r-overseas-w-video/

[video]http://bcove.me/v8myh20w[/video]

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Good freaking Gawd. :eek:

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Very impressive. I guess you'll see a slew of 2012s come up for sale as the "latest and greatest" GTR crowd moves on up. A good friend of mine has a tuned 2012 (555 whp on pump) and to 100 mph it literally feels like someone dropped you off the side of a building. :thumbup:

Also, the only engine difference of the 2012 are slightly larger turbo inlet pipes. The vast majority of the power increases are just coming from increased boost. The engine has quite a bit of reserve in stock form. A set of downpipes and a midpipe without a tune nets around 30 whp alone without even touching boost or fuel.

·
Registered
'19 Subaru Forester with the no-faster stripes
44,863 Posts
Would drive, but wouldn't want to pay as much for it.
Lol wat? It's the cheapest car offering that much performance by tens of thousands of dollars; I can't think of anything that seriously challenges it until you get to the $150k range. It's a performance bargain for what you get. I'm not sure how you could think that it's not worth what they ask for it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.