VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 337 and most bolt ons will be going on soon, within the next month. Pretty much everything I can do but a stage 3. I want to be able to run a 75-100 shot.
Now heres my question: I know advanced ignition timing is an enemy of NOS, and the chip, as all do, I will be using does exactly that (APR 93/100 octane). If I run the car on 100 or 93 can I just increase the fuel (wet system) to prevent detonation, or is it not that simple. Do I have to retard the timing or run on a stock chip setting? I know alot about nitrous, researched the snot out of it so I didn't blow up my last car (Oldsmobile Aurora, man, that was a sleeper!), but I'm not sure if this is a good way to prevent detonation, that is upping the fuel. Some people say you can, but I'm still not sure. Any and all answers are welcomed and much appreciated. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Re: Nitrous detontation prevention on a 1.8t with a chip. (FrankiEBoneZ)

Adding more fuel will not stop detonation, it actually makes it worse. It's like trying to put out a fire with gasoline.
Remember, when you run nitrous on a forced car the efficiency of the turbocharger is increased substantially because of the cooling effect of nitrous. The power output can be much higher than anticipated than what the "shot" is rated for.
I would suggest having a chip installed that pulled timing out (retard)at WOT with a 75HP shot.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Re: Nitrous detontation prevention on a 1.8t with a chip. (gearhead455)

that's not completely true. Adding more fuel has a cooling effect on the cylinder and this does lessen the chance of detonation. I'm not sure about this on a N2O setup, however.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Re: Nitrous detontation prevention on a 1.8t with a chip. (vausVR6)

Nitrous has a major cooling effect on cylinder. So much that, it in itself can cause fuel fall out which will make detonation. You have to run the right type of fuel with the right type of distillation curve. But even without nitrous people have destroyed engines with adding to much fuel and causing detonation. Too much fuel creates fuel puddling and once you have puddling gas wants to stick to itself and the problem compounds, this will create lean pockets which will ignite or detonate. This is a thing I found out from hanging with the pro mod boys running every type of race gas you can imagine. Plus nitrous has its own nitrous to fuel ratio of 5 to 1 being on the rich side and 6 to 1 on the lean side.Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Re: Nitrous detontation prevention on a 1.8t with a chip. (FrankiEBoneZ)

Hard to say it would work safely as I haven't done it, but the I'd be pretty confident running 100 oct and using the stock chip mode. If that works without a hitch , consider the 93 program with 100 octane.....

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Re: Nitrous detontation prevention on a 1.8t with a chip. (Andrew Stauffer)

Man I can't imagine I lived without the search option for almost a month!

Sorry to revive this topic however I am looking at a very similar situation. Currently I have the 91 and 94 APR programs and would like to (occasionally
) run a 50 shot. Keeping the same principles in effect, should I switch to the 91 program while running the nitrous and 94 octane? Has APR released a nitrous program...I know it was a rumor? Also before the installation I am thinking the inner cooler piping should be changed? Any thoughts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts