VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Search wasn't much help! I'm looking at getting a set up, but would like you veterans to tell me waht you know...make me smart (ok ok not smart, just a little more informed).
I was wondering what kit you have used, how the install went, any problems you might have had...etc. etc.
Thanks for the help (and not flaming) guys!
J

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
I'm by all means, no veteran... I'm scared to run nitrous on anything that hasn't been well prepared for it. When I use a bottle, it's going to be on the most indestructable motor I can build..

Just be careful. That's my best advice. Don't try to be superman and run a 175 shot..

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (ZeRo_C0oL)

I just saw 2 Fast 2 Furious, so I'm ready to Nawz it up...j/k
actually, I've never done Nitrous before and want to try it out. I can get my hands on new motors relatively easily, so blowing the motor won't be totally disasterous. I was thinking like a 40-45 shot....or 350, whatever feels right

J

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
Re: (SRJetta)

You're crazy!
lol
If motors are really that dispensable to you, how about you hook me up with a free motor, or let me have your first motor when you blow it up?

Every little bit helps with me. I'd never intentionally blow up a VW motor. Ford, maybe.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Get a decent clutch, colder plugs and know if your fuel system is doing OK. If you start out small (35-55hp) if any problems like pinging come up you'll be able to hear them before they do any huge problems.
Learn to read your plugs, do it after a couple passes down the strip or a couple juicings on the freeway. This will tell you if your going lean before the death rattle starts hopefully.
That being said I've put a ZEX kit on my friend's 95 jetta and it was very easy to install for two mechanically inept people. It took the jetta which is chipped (techtonics tuning), intake & exhaust (well with the hollowed cat there isn't much of an exhaust) from a 16.6 to a 15.3 in the 1/4mile.
We ran the 55 and the 75 shot at the track and the car ran 15.4's with the 55shot and the clutch would slip going into 3rd. With the 75 it would slip if you hit the juice early in 1st and a little more in 3rd. This is with the uprated 16v pressure plate in a pretty new clutch. It's going to need an aftermarket clutch of some kind. The 60fts were a best of 2.3 with 50series 16" tires and the car trapped 91mph.
If you want a "pie in the sky" dream time the car could get down to 14.5's with slicks and perfect traction. I was given this formula for caclulating the estimated time you should be running based on your mph.
1320 / mph = estimated 1/4 mile time
1320 / 91mph = 14.505
It's a fairly accurate calculation, just assume with a front driver since physics are not on your side with weight transfer that you'll never get entirely to that number but if your within a 1/2 second your good.
N20 is addictive though, and very fun, 2nd to the chip it's the best bang for the buck. If you want it cheap hang out on this and some other forums and wait for some kid to go broke and need to sell his N2O kit. There are more kits for sale on http://www.honda-tech.com so try there.

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
Re: (VW97Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by VW97Jetta »
You engage nitrous in first gear?

A lot of people spray off of the line...
The safest way to use nitrous for a newbie is engaged at wide open throttle... which is why I think I'd go for ZEX as a first choice for a first nitrous setup.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Motors aren't like cookies, but I can get them with relative ease...and I'm not trying to blow it...but it may happen

Thanks for the advice guys.
J

·
Registered
17,693 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ZeRo_C0oL »

A lot of people spray off of the line...

Hmmmm.....not sure how bright that would be do to on a regular basis....
Quote »
The safest way to use nitrous for a newbie is engaged at wide open throttle... which is why I think I'd go for ZEX as a first choice for a first nitrous setup.

Hmmm....doesn't ZEX only make dry kits? I'd like one, but don't want a dry kit.....will probably get an NX setup at some point.

·
Registered
14,240 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VW97Jetta »

Hmmmm.....not sure how bright that would be do to on a regular basis....
Hmmm....doesn't ZEX only make dry kits? I'd like one, but don't want a dry kit.....will probably get an NX setup at some point.

Probably not something you want to do regularly.

I'd say there's a 50% chance that I'm right, but I think ZEX either makes wet AND dry, or there's some sort of kit you can run from dry and convert it to wet... lol... I know that sounds stupid, and I'm probably wrong.

·
Registered
14,826 Posts
Re: (EUROJETTA8V1991)

If you run dry your
Wet is much better. Also dont spray in 5th. Make sure your fuel pump and pressure is good. Start with a 50 shot and move up to 75 which can be safely run with additional fuel. You might also want to retard the timing a degree or two when spraying. Bottle heater is also suggested if your kit doesnt have one.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (bahnblitz)

Quote, originally posted by bahnblitz »
If you run dry your
Wet is much better. Also dont spray in 5th.

Why is wet much better...I've heard that a dry system is safer, but then again I am not any sort of authority.
Also, why should I not spray in fifth?
J

·
Registered
14,826 Posts
Re: (SRJetta)

Wet deliever fuel plus nitrous and dry is nitrous only Wet is a little harder to setup bu tMUCH safer. If you dont have the right amount of fuel with your NAWZ youll run lean and have denonation wihch will kill your rings, pistons, valves, etc. Dry is okay for a smaller shot say 35. And the drop in revs from fourth to fifth will cause a nice explosion in some peoples cars. Enough to blow out plugs and every vacuum line and toast your MAF etc. Not fun and it scares you when it happens!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts

The most difference you can make is at the start of the drag race, unless you have hellish traction problems or a really weak drivetrain go ahead and spray off the line. As my dad (or any other drag racer) says "if your not breaking parts your not trying".
I generally agree about wet kits being better except for the matter of fuel puddling in the intake. Intakes are designed to flow air and not fuel and sometimes fuel will fall out of atomization(sp?) and pool in the intake just waiting for a small backfire. If your going direct port this isn't a big deal but unless your doing a monster shot why bother with direct port. It has been pointed out to me that the price difference between single & four fogger kits is not much....
I forget what point I was trying to make if any, I'm sorry I'm dumb.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Re: (efil4keeg)

I'm one of the people that had a nitrous backfire in 5 gear. I still went 13.50 @ 94MPH coasting thru. This would of been my first 12 second run if it wouldn't have backfire. I was running the single fogger nozzle 6" before the T/B. So this increased the fuel puddling issue. I now run it centered on the manifold on the vac. sibe of the T/B with no problems.The other thing that I change was I'm now using VP C-16 mix half and Half with pump 92. Before I was running Toluene and pump 92 and it has more of a issue with puddling. I now have a hudge convex dent on my hood, but it reminds me to keep the rpm up in fourth before I **** to 5th.

·
Banned
5,765 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ZeRo_C0oL »

ummm......if you're spraying nitrous at anything but WOT. Say good bye to the motor in a short time. Only spray @ WOT and let go of the juice 500rpms before shifting. This will help prevent fuel puddling and lower the chance of a backfire.

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
Re: (GTibunny16v)

Quote, originally posted by GTibunny16v »

ummm......if you're spraying nitrous at anything but WOT. Say good bye to the motor in a short time. Only spray @ WOT and let go of the juice 500rpms before shifting. This will help prevent fuel puddling and lower the chance of a backfire.

I said that wrong. That's not how I meant it..
I was referring mainly to ZEX kits. I think the kit actually prevents itself from being engaged until you're at WOT.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts