VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always heard how dangerous nitrous with an advanced timing chip. I just read the post by crazyvw who sprayed with his wett chip and so far hast had problems. I have also heard of the another member spraying with an upsolute chip.
Is a low shot like a 50 or 60 in the safe zone with a chip??
** This is more for the sake of conversation and curiosity then something I am eager to try

[Modified by Demon_Dub, 12:26 AM 4-6-2002]

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: Nitrous with a chip, who has gone to the edge?? (Demon_Dub)

when i sprayed on the dyno i was on 104 octane gas, it detonates alittle on 94, i don't know if it safe but i have gone threw 2 bottles with this setup

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: Nitrous with a chip, who has gone to the edge?? (rabbit stew)

Ben @VWAddictions.com has a GIAC Ver 11 chip with a 55hp dry shot.
I planned for the DSR 256 cams with the GIAC256 chip and the same 55hp setup. Should run nicely

·
Registered
91 Posts

I sprayed about a 70 shot (dry) in both my 97 jetta vr6 and my 98 gti vr6. both cars had a GIAC chip and I never had a problem. I know ssvr6 was running a neuspeed chip with a dry shot as well and he never had any problems as well.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Re: Nitrous with a chip, who has gone to the edge?? (VR6ti)

Dos anybody know if there was an advantage to running nitrous with their chip in, versus a stock chip?
For instance, if you run a 15.0 1/4 with you stock chip and no spray, and you run a 13.8 with your stock chip and nitrous.
Then you run a 14.3 with the aftermarket chip, and no nitrous, should your next run with nitrous and the aftermarket chip be better than a 13.7?
Logic says yes, but I'm not sure if the performance of an engine with advanced timing would be hurt by the use of N20.?
What I'm getting at is I run a 14.3 with my chip and no nitrous (+ other mods). When I swap my stock chip back in, and run a 60hp dry shot I only run a 13.7! Going from a 14.3 to a 13.7 with a 60 hp shot is not good enough!
I am going to try nitrous with my chip in a few weeks! I'll keep you guys posted.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Re: Nitrous with a chip, who has gone to the edge?? (VR6BOPER)

Advancing your timing will make more power regardless, it is just harder on your pistons when running n2o. The biggest problem is the fueling issue. On VR's that is not a problem, but I have seen many 'o 2.0's get toasted very quickly by running a chip w/ n2o. I am gonna try advancing the timing on my rabbit a bit so see what kind of results I yield with my n2o setup. I would like to hear what happens in your case.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts

YOU ALL ARE SCARING ME!
Read a book on N2O and try to understand what is happening when you advance the timing past OEM. All I see on this thread is a lot of misleading assumptions and opinions and no fact.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm spraying my corrado with an 80 dry shot and an autotech chip. I run 93 octane. My car makes consistant reliable power all the time.[HR][/HR]​
ive riden in this car sprayin.. my god! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
i went home cryin i had to get bac in my SLOW ASS corrado lol
Your 6 speed tranny def helps with the n20 too

[Modified by jininkan, 3:40 PM 4-8-2002]

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Re: Nitrous with a chip, who has gone to the edge?? (gearhead455)

quote:[HR][/HR]YOU ALL ARE SCARING ME!
Read a book on N2O and try to understand what is happening when you advance the timing past OEM. All I see on this thread is a lot of misleading assumptions and opinions and no fact.[HR][/HR]​
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
please do the research. sure it works now,but what about in the longrun?
if you think your pistons are indistructable,think again.give it some time,do some research,then do it right. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I have heard of people runnin small shots like 60-80 with mild chips like the Poospeed (steve, ahhahh) and have not had any problems. If your running a 100+ hp shot then you can not use an aggressive chip like Upsolute or GIAC it's too much.
The advanced timing makes more hp because your firing your mixture before TDC. But with an extra 100 hp it's too much for the pistons to take having all that cylinder pressire and still not being all the way at the top. Eventually something has to give, and usually it's the pistons, so a beautiful hole of some type develops on the dome of your piston and your mixture fires into your bottom end. Very pretty indeeed...

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Re: Nitrous with a chip, who has gone to the edge?? (VR6Jim)

As best as I can here: ALL applications, you should remove 2 deg of timing for every 50 hp of N2O you add. That is conservative, but the rather known rule. Detonation is when the flame front has reached all edges of the cyl wall and the piston tops before TDC. The ping you hear is the flame pushing DOWN on the piston when it is still going UP. Hence the timing removal. I wont even blast a 50 shot on my VR with the giac chip. I probably wouldn't do it with a stock chip, but then again I may. I will be running a MSD box to controll my timing, and will hold to the 2 deg rule. Ill post up the results when I am finished(Hopefully this weekend)

For those who ?? my knowledge, I have run N2O for 12 years with NO BROKEN PARTS.

It was a 406 chevy running a 350 fogger with a 250 plate in a three stage setup. I.E. 250 first gear, 350 second, 600 third

Edit* Lets keep the
Down if you dont like it. That is as accurate as I can get.

[Modified by gin8122, 8:46 AM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Re: Nitrous with a chip, who has gone to the edge?? (VR6Jim)

N2O = No Chip, you will get away with it for a few 1000 miles then.... melt down.
Ok ... Listen up guys, you do not wan't to detonate.
The whole point of firing the mixture off BTC is because the mixture needs time to ignite so when the piston reaches TDC. Combustion pressure is then directed down on the piston at the correct moment. When N2O oxidizer is introduced the mixture becomes more volitile and takes less time to ignite, so the total degrees of advance has to be less. High octane fuel can be used to DELAY the combustion so you can run more advance (still retarded from OEM though) and prevent pre-ignition of the mixture.
Imagine the heat and force generated when you pre-ignite a fuel/nitrous/air mixture while the piston is still moving upward.
This is what you are all toying with when you run a chip that advances your timming with N2O. Sooner or later you will get burned. Then you can rant and rave and spread more ignorance about how nitrous will blow your motor up (you know who you are).

[Modified by gearhead455, 1:59 PM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Re: Nitrous with a chip, who has gone to the edge?? (gearhead455)

There is nothing wrong with running nitrous and a chip as long as the car is tuned correctly and it is not detonating. At least in my case with a small dry shot. A fogger system is a different story. What it comes down to is my car runs great and I am running a chip and i'm totally happy with it.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts

You keep thinking that, no one will stop you. Dry shot is more likely to detonate than a wet fogger.
Most of the time the dry shot has poor distribution of the N2O. One cylinder will recieve more N2O than the other, you would not even hear the detonation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.