VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know which is better or have any experience with either the Nitto NT555R or BFGoodrich street legal slicks? I'd kind of like to get the Nitto but I'm planning on using them on a 15 inch drag wheel and Nitto only makes a 205/45/15 to fit my car. BFGoodrich on the other hand makes a 225/50/15. I think I would get alot better traction out of a 225/50/15 than a 205/45/15. Any thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Re: Nitto or BFGoodrich Cheater Slicks? (98vr6HONDAeater)

I have had both the Nitto and the BFG... The Nittos sucked in my opinion. Wouldn't buy them again. I have the BFGs on my civic now, I love them. I use them as slicks at the track and to tell you the truth they grip like hell....Go for the BFGs.....
although didn't know about the hoosiers, sorry.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Nitto or BFGoodrich Cheater Slicks? (lowandslow)

hey thanks for your opinion dude. I think that I am going to go with the BFGoodrich as long as they will fit under my wheel well. What size do you have and hwo low is your car?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Re: Nitto or BFGoodrich Cheater Slicks? (2.0TGolf)

u will break ur differntial man. be careful, i ran em a little but im scared to break my diff making my tranny break.. just be careful, 2 wheel burn outs are alot more fun than 1.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Re: Nitto or BFGoodrich Cheater Slicks? (JimGTIVR6)

"u will break ur differntial man."
?????
I have been autocrossing my stock GTI VR6 for 4 years (including ProSolo with drag race starts) using Hoosier, BFG (R-1's) and Kumho race tires with no diff failures....
4 years, 3 state wide championship trophies, 2 club championships, etc, etc, etc...
??? Why do you think the diff is prone to failure?
Regards,
Kevin

[Modified by bluevr6, 10:45 AM 4-12-2002]

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Nitto or BFGoodrich Cheater Slicks? (bluevr6)

about how much horsepower are you running and what all do you have done to yours? Mine is only a 4cylinder 8 valve but i am running between 250 and 275hp at the wheels with a T3/T4E drag turbo. I don't know if the trannies or diffs are weaker on them or not. I know I don't have the traction control on mine. I have heard that the quaiffes and peloquins really don't make that big of a difference as far making both tires spin better. What are the quaiffe's going for now on group buys?

·
Registered
21,868 Posts
Re: Nitto or BFGoodrich Cheater Slicks? (Y2KRICEBOY)

why the heck would you want a 225/50 over a 205/45? You'd be able to turn the 205/45 SO much easier, due to less diameter. This will 'lower' your gear ratios and increase your off the line acceleration.. your gearing would be way better for 1/4 mile..

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
Re: Nitto or BFGoodrich Cheater Slicks? (LostBoyScout)

quote:[HR][/HR]why the heck would you want a 225/50 over a 205/45? You'd be able to turn the 205/45 SO much easier, due to less diameter. This will 'lower' your gear ratios and increase your off the line acceleration.. your gearing would be way better for 1/4 mile.. [HR][/HR]​
im sorry bro, but your partailly off on this one
taller tire=higher mph
shorter tire=better accel, but less mph
he isnt going to have a problem with off the line accel as long as he launches the car
and the extra width will give him a slight traction advantage
plus the taller tire will increse his trap speeds
if you can fit the 225/50's then go for it
if not, 205/50's would be your next best bet
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Nitto or BFGoodrich Cheater Slicks? (JimGTIVR6)

No my tranny has not blown up yet and YES I am running between 250 and 275 on GTEC. I haven't had the time to dyno it yet. Read my list of mods if you want. I have the top of the line turbo kit. It is about 1 of 5 in the country. How do I know this because I have talked numerous times with George, the owner of ATP, and I have helped install a couple others. Most people don't get all the upgrades I have. And yes I think I will go with the BFGoodrich because they will give me more traction but i guess first I am going to have to figure out if i need to get the LSD first.

·
Registered
21,868 Posts
Re: Nitto or BFGoodrich Cheater Slicks? (Boost Inside)

quote:[HR][/HR]im sorry bro, but your partailly off on this one
taller tire=higher mph
shorter tire=better accel, but less mph
he isnt going to have a problem with off the line accel as long as he launches the car
and the extra width will give him a slight traction advantage
plus the taller tire will increse his trap speeds
if you can fit the 225/50's then go for it
if not, 205/50's would be your next best bet
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
i understand that.. but i would think he'd have enough top end either way?
although i can see where an extra shift will hurt, never thought of that..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.