VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
You went to an emission test with no catalytic converter? Please tell me this thread is a joke :facepalm:

I have an idea. Install one.

Also, set timing at 0*.

Nobody in NJ is going to fudge an emission test for you. Set the car up correctly, with the proper emission control devices in place. Then you'll pass, and have a legal car. It's really not that hard :banghead:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No i passed the visual test the cat is there but it is hollow. you dont need to make ****ty remarks.

like i said its cammed and idles rough and probably rich. hence why i fail for LOW idle CMs.

if youre not going to be of help dont bother posting. and im not asking for a "fudged" sticker and my car is legal, im asking for any insight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You went to an emission test with no catalytic converter? Please tell me this thread is a joke :facepalm:

I have an idea. Install one.

Also, set timing at 0*.

Nobody in NJ is going to fudge an emission test for you. Set the car up correctly, with the proper emission control devices in place. Then you'll pass, and have a legal car. It's really not that hard :banghead:
by buying my way threw meaning paying for services and or repairs.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
With a hollow cat, your car is most certainly NOT legal. There's absolutely no way you're going to get that number down nearly enough with a hollow cat anyway.

With the proper emission equipment, in your case what would be installed on the 1998 car, you would easily pass, even with the cam. What were the NOx numbers from the test?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With a hollow cat, your car is most certainly NOT legal. There's absolutely no way you're going to get that number down nearly enough with a hollow cat anyway.

With the proper emission equipment, in your case what would be installed on the 1998 car, you would easily pass, even with the cam. What were the NOx numbers from the test?

everything was 100%
in exception to low idle HCs and a gas cap.

·
Registered
26 Posts

As usual I have to agree with Anony00GT, you are not going to be able to pass an emissions test without a catalytic converter. It's fool-hardy to think otherwise, and pretty ridiculous to insult one of the most helpful vortex posters when he tells you something you don't want to hear.

I can't even think of a way to bring your numbers down low enough with any trick out there, you either need to "grease the mechanic" or install a cat. Depending on your exhaust set-up and if you have any friends with VW's you could just swap in a borrowed cat for the test. You would most likely pass, but then you would have to deal with it again when your inspection is up. I feel like I just saw the environment die a little bit with that suggestion... :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
As usual I have to agree with Anony00GT, you are not going to be able to pass an emissions test without a catalytic converter. It's fool-hardy to think otherwise, and pretty ridiculous to insult one of the most helpful vortex posters when he tells you something you don't want to hear...... :facepalm:

100% agree with Duece, This guy just douche some one that tries to give him help, through his lies and denials....... maybe it's Chris Crusty's goon pulling a bridge gate scam here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A: this car was someones else's project which i had bought. its not my only vehicle, so I'm not too concerned. I had no idea it had no cat due to passing the visual test that NJ inspection gives. talking to the previous owner i found out it has both O2 sensors and a draft pipe bolted where the cat should be. So i will be installing an OEM new cat.

B: if your going to give advice, the best way to do it is not be an *******. Yes i might be wrong but I'm not going to take **** from people when i ask for help on a community forum, so if you don't want to get grief don't give it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I'm just an oil change bitch, and I know nothing about how cars work :rolleyes:

Your screen name says all we need to know about you. Have fun with your "specific mechanical issue" :beer:
Well if you didnt have an "elitist" attitude on the Internet or on my thread it wouldn't be a huge deal. You want to give me **** over a car i bought primarily as a shell, thats fine, but don't get all salty when i give some **** back to you. Honestly i appreciate the help. but Iv owned this car for two weeks and i am working out bugs because it wasn't built up to par. Im seeking help on a forum and i read **** talk from you. Attitude makes the difference

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well if you didnt have an "elitist" attitude on the Internet or on my thread it wouldn't be a huge deal. You want to give me **** over a car i bought primarily as a shell, thats fine, but don't get all salty when i give some **** back to you. Honestly i appreciate the help. but Iv owned this car for two weeks and i am working out bugs because it wasn't built up to par. Im seeking help on a forum and i read **** talk from you. Attitude makes the difference
So glad I stumbled upon this.
Up to par?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Dude, you asked for help/suggestion in an open forum for some shady things, there was no disrespect response to what your original question/help posting. Every one have a different style of responses and he did not Bleep anything in the post or stick you with your B.O.B (Battery Operated Boyfriend) in the repsonse. I think you are just taking it the wrong way. ....or was that never pissed on a person with helping hand.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Dude, there was no attitude. I actually think I have a pretty good filter on these forums, much better than I do in person anyway :D

I was just trying to make it clear that you're never going to pass emissions without a cat, there hasn't been a car engine capable of that since the Honda CVCC, and even then only at the dawn of emission regulations. There is no "trick" that will bring your numbers down that much. It certainly sounded like you were asking for illegal advice in your original post (which you edited), and as a certified emission repair shop in the state of NJ I can not and will not give such advice, be it on a public forum or otherwise. There's no personal feelings here, it's just the Internet.

If you install a cat and fail again, post complete results and myself and others will be happy to assist from there :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.