VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKay... first of all... i'm DEFINATELY not the experieced "racer" but something weird happened hte other day... so i was driving in 3rd... foot on gas accelerating... hand on the knob. I took my foot off the gas pedal to shift when i felt the knob slip right into neutral. I've heard of shifting w/o clutch before but also heard you have to time it and you gotta konw what ur doin or else you'll f-up the car.... anyway.... i tried this in every gear..... cant totally switch gears but it goes into neutral perfectly w/o clutch!! Any explanations from the pro's out there???

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: No Clutch Shift?!?!?! (sntx)

Quote, originally posted by sntx »
There is nothing weird about this.

I'm such a newbie i just never tried it/noticed it before..... i thought there's more to it, and i'm sure there is!

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (ZeRo_C0oL)

Quote, originally posted by ZeRo_C0oL »
Going into neutral and going into gear are two different things. Either way, I don't suggest you try to learn new tricks on your new expensive car.

I know i know.... i just never knew it even went into neutral like that
I'll be careful... and if i break my car... i'm sure the vortexers will be happy to have someone to laugh at / flame on

· Registered
927 Posts
Re: (mds_1976)

I can do it on just about any manual, EXCEPT MY GTI. I can hardly shift WITH the clutch.... Took it to the stealership, and they won't do anything, because it's "shifting fine, nothing's wrong"
I suppose that's great if you love 2nd gear grind, 3rd gear bumping out 15% of the time, and the shifter getting STUCK in 4th gear....
*end rant*
Yeah, you can do it, like said before, don't try to learn on your vw, especially with a drive-by-wire, it makes it harder to rev-match than with a cable t/b. Downshifts w/o a clutch are far more difficult, upshifts are pretty easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.