VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the Dealer today in Lansing MI and was told there will be no diesel Passat in the United states due to the 2007 regulations coming.
They said there will be none in 2006 or the forseeable future.
If this is true, this is most disheartening. I will not be in the market for a new VW.
I find it most frustrating that the cars/options we want the most are simply unavailble to the American market e.g. TDI, DSG, HID and so on.
Why does Volkswagen not get it! I have no reason not to shop the competition now.

· Banned
314 Posts
Re: No Diesels for US (keithG)

Hey buddy check out the Jetta TDI. They are great man. The DSG is awesome. Very fast for a diesel and you can get a lot more out of it via software tuning at a small price of 500 bucks! That Jetta is great. I love the Passat but hey go with the Jetta now! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
902 Posts

Quote, originally posted by keithG »

I find it most frustrating that the cars/options we want the most are simply unavailable to the American market e.g. TDI, DSG, HID and so on.
Why does Volkswagen not get it! I have no reason not to shop the competition now.

Thank lawmakers for the lack of more TDI products. This is not a VW thing, so quick blaming them for this. Call your congresman or senator, and tell them to listen to what the people want. When it comes to emisson issues I can assure you our interests are not what on the minds of Washington.
As for the lack of other items, yeah HIDS are longs overdue. DSG is still in its infancy. You didn't see Tiptronic in every automatic for YEARS after it was introduced. Hell some models just got it in the past year or two.
Do you all realize what a small portion of sales the US market is to VW?? Be glad they give us Americans anything. All we do is complain about what we get and bitch about what we don't get.
Quit complaining

· Registered
2,597 Posts
Re: (GT17V)

Quote, originally posted by GT17V »
give it time.
It took awhile for te previous generation to get a TDI... 1998 to 2003....about 6 years!!! Hopefully it won't take the B6 6 years to get a TDI out

It will not take that long. It will be a 2007 model. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
136 Posts
Re: (USCVWFAN)

Quote, originally posted by USCVWFAN »

It will not take that long. It will be a 2007 model. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I hope you are right http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I also hope the TDI won't come for the last two model years (like it happened with B4 and B5.5)...

Actually - looking back - with B4 wasn't that bad - only 95 (first MY) had no TDI. But with B5 ..

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (USCVWFAN)

It may be a 2007 model but VW states that the cost of meeting the 2007 regs adds approximately.$6000 to each car, therefore it may not happen.
I am most frustrated that the cars we want to buy are avaiilable in all their other markets, yet not in the U.S.
This frustration is from one who purchased two disel Rabbits via european delivery in 1979 at Wolfsburg. I would like to take delivery at the plant again. It was great fun, and then maybe I could add factory installed HID headlights!

· Registered
33,911 Posts
Re: (keithG)

Quote, originally posted by keithG »

I am most frustrated that the cars we want to buy are avaiilable in all their other markets, yet not in the U.S.

The same holds true for just about every other manufacturer that sells in the US.

· Registered
2,410 Posts
Re: No Diesels for US (schnellmitklasse)

Quote, originally posted by schnellmitklasse »
Hey buddy check out the Jetta TDI. They are great man.

I second that! The TDI Jetta will offer more bang for the buck and the gas mileage is great. Plus you can get it now... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
55 Posts
Re: No Diesels for US (curraheevw)

I really want a TDI Passat 2007 model, however if they don't make it to our shores, I'll take a hard look at the Jetta TDI. Maybe there will be other manufactures that will be able to fill in the gaps in 2007 for diesels.
My feelings are that with fuel prices being what they are and what they may be. All car companies are going to be changing, because no one is going to be buying "gas guzzlers" anymore.

· Registered
6,678 Posts
Re: No Diesels for US (whitelite777)

Quote, originally posted by whitelite777 »
All car companies are going to be changing, because no one is going to be buying "gas guzzlers" anymore.

That's what they said just a couple fo decades ago

· Registered
118 Posts
I love it...dealers are so good at telling the truth in misleading way. 2007 regs are changing for the better and from that point on we'll see a flood of diesels...especially from BMW. I cannot wait to get my hands on 535d.

· Registered
14 Posts

We test drove a 2.0 yesterday, nice ride. Told the salesman to call us when he got in a TDI Wagon. He said he didn't know when they would be coming here but heard "probably in 2007" maybe salesmen BS, maybe not, no one seems to know for sure. I'm sure glad we have our reliable 97 B4 TDI wagon, 236+K and still running fine. We would consider a Jetta V TDI if/when a wagon is available.

· Registered
55 Posts
Re: No Diesels for US (av_audi)

Quote, originally posted by av_audi »

That's what they said just a couple fo decades ago

Yes, but don't you think that this is a different situation? Way more demand world wide with 3rd. world countries like India, etc buying cars. China is growing at a pace that is putting a huge strain on oil production nations to supply needs today-----------wait till tomorrow. Years ago this was not an issue, it was more political then. It still is political in the Middle East and else where but again World Demand for oil is way up.
Lowell

· Registered
55 Posts
Re: (RGT881)

Quote, originally posted by RGT881 »
I love it...dealers are so good at telling the truth in misleading way. 2007 regs are changing for the better and from that point on we'll see a flood of diesels...especially from BMW. I cannot wait to get my hands on 535d.

In my opinion this would be the ultimate diesel. What a car, but even if they did bring it over here, I wouldn't be able to afford it. Maybe after several years.

Lowell

· Registered
250 Posts
Re: (whitelite777)

The E320 inline six CDI has been here since April 04 and this is the third year that MB continues the effort to bring the modern diesel engine to this shore. I got one all most a month ago, over 1.1 k in odometer, a good car indeed. The 04 & 05 Passat tdi are real good cars too. Why VWOA wouldn’t continue to bring the tdi for Passat is a big puzzle to me. I was one of the few drove the V10 Touareg for over a year, oh, boy, do I miss the engine! If all the bugs are picked off the Touareg and slim it 500 -1000 pounds lighter, would I consider the BMW 535D? Unlikely, the CDI had already given me the real diesel good feelings, and the Passat tdi is not that far away! Why the tdi is not on the line up of 06 Passat is a mystery which might have something to do with the Motor Trend’s report about the S & C scandal at VW in Germany? Or they lost their minds!

· Registered
55 Posts
Re: (cctdi)

Quote, originally posted by cctdi »
The E320 inline six CDI has been here since April 04 and this is the third year that MB continues the effort to bring the modern diesel engine to this shore. I got one all most a month ago, over 1.1 k in odometer, a good car indeed. The 04 & 05 Passat tdi are real good cars too. Why VWOA wouldn’t continue to bring the tdi for Passat is a big puzzle to me. I was one of the few drove the V10 Touareg for over a year, oh, boy, do I miss the engine! If all the bugs are picked off the Touareg and slim it 500 -1000 pounds lighter, would I consider the BMW 535D? Unlikely, the CDI had already given me the real diesel good feelings, and the Passat tdi is not that far away! Why the tdi is not on the line up of 06 Passat is a mystery which might have something to do with the Motor Trend’s report about the S & C scandal at VW in Germany? Or they lost their minds!

Everything I've read about the BMW535 twin turbo is amazing. The balance and power are beyond any other Diesel setup on the market. That being said it is not in the same league with a SUV diesel. The 6 speed manuel trans with all that power still gets 45mpg on the highway at 80-90 mph. It still corners and handles like a "gasser" BMW. Again, What a car. 0-60 at around 6 sec. That's plenty fast for me. How does this compare to your E320? I really don't know.

Thanks,
Lowell

· Registered
250 Posts
Re: (whitelite777)

It is 6.6 from 0 – 60 according to the MB, somehow I feel faster than that in diesel engine, just like the V10 tdi, the VW says 7.2 from 0 – 60, yet the test results from a few sources are less than that; one from MT was 6.3. The Passat tdi is 10.2 0 – 60 according to VW, I don’t feel it is that slow. The 06 320 CDI is here, if test drive one in your local dealer, you might not let it go!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.