VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 434 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No disassemble Johnny 5 (80' caddy build)

Well, I've had this guy for a touch over a year working on it. I know there are a lot of builds on here, but figured I would share anyway.
Ad pic from when I bought it.



For an 80' she was in good shape. Apparently from California.
Came with a spare 1.8. Some other goodies were installed like rear disk brakes and a close ratio with a taller 5th. Only real rust was around the windshield.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First I took out the windshield, removed the interior, and took care of the rust. Blasted it, welded it, light metal finish, epoxy prime and some rattle can paint.





My buddy Dan got me a windshield and I helped him install it.

Threatening it with window tint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, it was somewhere around this time I got it so it would go down the road safely, and wouldn't ya know it I came across a sweetheart deal on a TDI drivetrain.



This is about when I lost my god d**n mind

Re did the tank. It was in awesome shape, but still sealed the inside, blasted off the tiny bit of rust on the outside, epoxy primed, painted, and shutzed.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Fixed the rust/damage on the front with new metal.




I was left with no choice to fix the front this way as early westy fronts are not easy to find so I cut up a nos single round and pieced the two together. I just have to do a little body work and all good.

Fixed up the motor as it came with a specially modified im shaft pulley from a bad timing belt job.:eek:




Fortunately it wasn't so bad. I just replaced the im shaft, pulley, and im bearings. Then on the way out did a proper timing belt job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I said I lost my mind.


Motor with bits yellow zinc plated and powdercoated. Just about ready to put in. Have to get to the bay and the rest of the suspension.



Motor out, time to clean.



Had to fix a half asses bat mount repair.



I swore I was just going to clean it up and make it look nice....well like most things, idle hands in the winter and all that.



Large amount of parts back from plating. Welded control arms, all sorts of neat bits, and surprises.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On to the back. I really like OSVW stuff. So inspiration comes from him on these items. I'm just to broke to afford it, and fortunate enough to have to the tools to do it. After some steel purchases on line I started to make some parts.





My buddy helped me out with the plates as he has access to a mill to drill the holes and square them up. He is awesome.




Lots of mock up. Take apart, put back together, and then back apart again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
For the front I used heim joints with a modified front spring mount and seals it seals for the joints.









Had to make some bushings and shims. Fortunately I have a small lathe to get into trouble with. The bars that I have on it are for mock up. I'll get something nice later.
Here is the axle all welded up. Just have to clean it up a bit and send to powder coat.




Almost forgot the sway bar.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After starting to bolt some stuff up it made a whole lot more sense to flip the rear brakes around. I don't see any issue with having them this way. This allows me to use mk4 calipers, still have the e-brake cable work, clear the bags (I narrowed the beam a bit), and run the brake lines real nice. At this point I also flipped the bags upside down and ran the lines in the frame rail. This puts the air lines out of harms way and was only a matter of drilling a 1 1/8" hole.



I also made some delrin bushings for the front control arms and a buffer for the hood latch.




And powder coated some drop mounts I made.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Axle and new bars back from powder. My oven isn't big enough to do those. Wasn't bad though like $60 for the axle, bars, hood prop, and sway bar.



You start to see how the sway bar and shocks look in this one.



More parts from plating.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,868 Posts
cooool :cool::thumbup:
 
1 - 20 of 434 Posts
Top