VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tips:
1. Hit up the nuts with copious amounts of PB Breaker Catalyst or similar product. If you foresee it necessary, wait a while and repeat. You can even do it days in advance.
2. If you're not reusing the strut or you just can't get the nuts off, you may want to use an impact gun with 22mm socket to loosen the nut while the car is on the ground.
3. If the shaft is spinning while you impact and you're not reusing the strut, you can use a pair of vice-grips or something similar in between the spring coils to hold the shaft of the strut still.
You can use several special tools for this job or you could just rig something like this:

This setup also works for the upper perch/bearing hex nut. If the shaft on your strut doesn't use an allen, find a socket that fits. You also don't need a cut-away socket but you do need a deep socket.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Re: No longer shall we fear UPPER STRUT NUTS!!!!! (lazyace)

Just a quick side note. I noticed that Bilstien Sport struts are a little larger than 7mm, but smaller than 8mm. I took an 8mm hex and ground it down to fit.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Re: No longer shall we fear UPPER STRUT NUTS!!!!! (VertigoGTI)

Quote, originally posted by VertigoGTI »
Just a quick side note. I noticed that Bilstien Sport struts are a little larger than 7mm, but smaller than 8mm. I took an 8mm hex and ground it down to fit.

Well that's aggravating... Are they in US sizes or something? Cause I doubt they'd make it 7.5mm...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: No longer shall we fear UPPER STRUT NUTS!!!!! (Soren)

I just went out and double checked on my Bilstein TC's and the 7mm fit fine. I guess if you are going for a super tight connection you could grind down an 8mm but that is probably not necessary if you have a quality set that will not deform.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Re: No longer shall we fear UPPER STRUT NUTS!!!!! (lazyace)

That link doesn't work.

Put a little penetrating oil on it, wait for a little while, throw a nice sized impact gun on it, and voila!
I've done suspensions on rabbits to mk4s, and never had anymore problems that a little penetrating oil and an impact gun couldn't cure.
-Kyle

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: No longer shall we fear UPPER STRUT NUTS!!!!! (ATL_VR6)

Fixed the link. Thanks!
Quote, originally posted by ATL_VR6 »
Put a little penetrating oil on it, wait for a little while, throw a nice sized impact gun on it, and voila!

Yes... I do believe that is what #1 and #2 says.

·
Banned
7,189 Posts
I shaved down two sides of a 22mm, half inch drive socket, perfectly parallel and just get an adjustable wrench to the right size and place on the ground down socket, put a breaker bar on the end of the adjustable wrench and place onto 22mm strut nut. Drop an allen key with breaker bar down through the socket, into the strut, and loosen away!!
Rinse. Repeat. Best done with two people. This setup has worked for me for years now and it's loosened some seriously rusty struts too. Oh and PB Baster... of course.

Modified by IHateSpeedBumps at 9:37 PM 11-5-2006

1 - 8 of 8 Posts