VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a very strange issue. The initial issue was that I had a broken timing chain guide. I took the engine out and replaced both timing chains, both tensioners, all the guides, and the oil pump sprocket. After reassembly, I now have no oil pressure. (Also, worthy of note, I got a code that said something about VVT on camshaft "B" was off. However, This I believe would be caused by not having any oil pressure to the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) on the Cam.)

Therefore, I decided I would check the oil pump sensor and plug. no problem there that I could see. (I got ~8 volts to the sender plug when the ignition was turned on.) I checked the filter and saw that there was no oil in the canister so the sender was reporting right. I had no oil pressure. I also took off the oil pan and cleaned that out. There was a bunch of timing guide debris I should have cleaned out earlier.

I finally decided that I must have done something wrong with the chain installation and maybe not torqued the oil pump sprocket bolt. But it was all good after getting the engine back out and checking everything. I now have the engine out and am considering what to do next. I thought I might should try and pull the oil pump and inspect that. I am not sure how to get it out and have not found anything by googling just yet.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE:
So one more thing... I just noticed that the pump has "play" in the shaft in the "in/out" direction. So the horizontal movement the direction of the shaft. I'm not sure if this is normal. It does not seem terribly abnormal but it disconcerting. I wouldn't think much of it except that I have not oil pressure. It moves about a 1/4 inch from flush against the pump housing. It seems from pictures of a new pump that it is supposed to be always in the "out" position, so roughly the 1/4 away from the housing.

·
Registered
37,545 Posts
You may want to pull the oil pressure valve on the back of the block and see if there is oil in the tank. If it seems full, you may have to teardown again and inspect the pump. The only time I have seen these engines lose pressure is if the intermediate shaft/oil pump bolt has backed out which was common on the 06/07 engines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I just found the problem after pulling the oil pump. The back cover/casing of the oil pump was completely broken. It looks like a crack. I am pretty confident that I did not cause the problem, but I most likely caused the problem to appear more readily. My guess is that the part was already close to broken and that when I torqued the bolt on the intermediate/oil pump shaft the other forced applied to it caused it to break completely.

One way of looking at this is that I am glad it did not fail while driving down the freeway. I only started the car a handful of times after installing the engine and realizing that there was no oil pressure.

It would be better I think if VW's "lockout" of the Low oil pressure light at startup did not last as long as it does. It is clear that I never had oil pressure on any of the startups as the oil filter canister is still completely empty. However, the car does not report low oil pressure until at least a good 20 seconds of run time. I hope that I did not cause any other damage by letting it run as long as I did. At first, I thought it was just a sensor issue.
IMG_0799.JPEG
IMG_0800.JPEG
IMG_0801.JPEG
IMG_0802.JPEG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts