VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what up..having a terrible time trying to figure this out....most of you out there probably seen my post at one time or another... [URL]http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3513640&page=1[/URL]
i finally got the motor back together, and this is what's happenening....
i checked oil pressure at the filter flange and it was around 85 psi, engine cold, just started it up....
checked oil pressure at the head, by removing sensor on back of head drivers side....started it for a few seconds, and NO pressure...

· Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: NO oil pressure at head!! (redGTInj)

it's an all new bottom end, with 83.5 je pistons, balanced crank and all rotating parts, Scch intermediate shaft, and NEW oil pump...
head has lots of port work, autotech valve springs, TT ti retainers, lightweight lifters, cat 283/279 cams 11.4mm lift

· Registered
1,156 Posts
Re: NO oil pressure at head!! (redGTInj)

I never checked my oil pressure at the head, when I finished my rebuild a few weeks back. I made sure oil was getting to the head though. When you remove your oil cap can you see oil in the head?
I am pretty sure there is only one oil passage from the bottom end that flows up to the head and that is on the same side as the oil filter flange. To check mine I had the valve cover off and built a tool to connect to the oil pump thru the dist block off plate on the block (ground down a 16v oil pump gear and welded a long shaft to it). With the valve cover off I spun the gear and literally watched oil squirt from the head... Had to throw the valve cover back on real quick to avoid a huge mess... lesson learned..
If you can do something similiar, and watch oil fill the head thru the oil cap... that'll give you a good idea you're getting enough pressure up there.
Modified by falcon2000aj at 3:35 PM 12-2-2008

Modified by falcon2000aj at 5:12 PM 12-2-2008

· Registered
3,409 Posts
Id imagine you don't get too much pressure at that spot in the back of the head. Its so far back and has such a small passage.
Did you thread a manual pressure gauge into it?

· Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (typeSLone)

update...all oil pressure testing was used with a snap-on oil pressure tester...I know all the tricks to seeing if there was pressure in the head, i did take the oil cap off, none splashed out....
and that port in the back of the head is a perfect place to check for oil pressure...have ran oil pressure guages there before...it will be slightly lower than at the filter adapter, but VERY present still....
if you people have noticed there are two types of the 9a blocks...one that uses the metal crankcase breather and one that uses metal crankcase breather...the plastic breather setup, is the later of the two blocks...and oil filter housings ARE NOT interchangable between these two...although the ealier 9a and 1.8 the same breather and oil filter housing...
the later block which i have now, was made from mid-91-92....
and there is an oil feed which comes directly from the filter housing...and the feed in the head, is the small port directly next to the number 3 bolt hole....

Modified by redGTInj at 10:00 PM 12-3-2008

· Registered
371 Posts
Re: (redGTInj)

That's interesting... I thought that the plastic breather box was the 9a breather, and the metal one was only a PL block breather.
I didn't realize that there were some 9a's that used the metal breather.

· Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (sprout)

the main difference is the filter flange....for some reason later 2.0 blocks there a tiny valve in the oil filter adapter housing that controls oil flow up to the head via, the oil feed next to the number 3 bolt hole...where the valve is located in the filter adapter is where the oil comes from to go to the head....

· Registered
4,326 Posts
Re: (sprout)

the main difference is the filter flange....for some reason later 2.0 blocks there a tiny valve in the oil filter adapter housing that controls oil flow up to the head via, the oil feed next to the number 3 bolt hole...where the valve is located in the filter adapter is where the oil comes from to go to the head....
Back from the depths...just found this out the hard way. I had a relatively little used 30mm pump in my 8v build (using a 9A) and wasn't getting oil pressure at the head. Installed a brand new 36mm ABA pump and still nothing...

I remember being dumbfounded that my euro GTi oil filter flange wouldn't mate to the 9A block. I had to fab up a strap in order to cinch one of flange bolts. Guess now I know why - different versions, huh. How f'ing stupid...hopefully, damage is minimal to none.

OP - if you're still around (lol), how did you remedy this?

Thx, JT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.