VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I just found out about the introduction of the 2006 A4 (may be old news for some of you). The venerable 1.8T has been replaced by a a direct (or straight) fuel injection 2.0T with 200 maxHp and 207lb-ft of torque available from 1,800 rpm to 5,000. This engine has also twin balance shafts that should make it smoother then the 1.8T. I suspect this same engine will be used on the next Passat as well. Combined with a 6-speed tranny, things look fairly promissing for the next Passat, at least in the powertrain department
I bet this new engine will also be more fuel efficient.
The A4 is also getting a new 3.2 V6, but I wonder whether it will make it into the Passat. It seems like most people are anticipating a VR type engine for 6-cyl Passat.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Re: No Passat at Paris show but new A4 engine looks good (av_audi)

Some Euro magazine said the new Passat would be at the Geneva auto show. I think that takes place in the spring. Probably means new Passat to be here about mid-summer. Can those engines you mention fit "sideways": in the new Passat? Would be nice

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: No Passat at Paris show but new A4 engine looks good (car_nut)

Quote, originally posted by car_nut »
Can those engines you mention fit "sideways": in the new Passat? Would be nice

I have no idea. The current 1.8T is used sideways in the Jetta/Golf. I assume the 2.0T will be used in the same wide range of models as the 1.8T.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Re: No Passat at Paris show but new A4 engine looks good (av_audi)

I've heard some speculation that the '06 replacement for the W8 will have the 3.2 @300 h.p. and the new 6 speed Tiptronic. Would be nice. MM

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Re: No Passat at Paris show but new A4 engine looks good (MattyM)

Ya, I imagine the 3.2 24v VR6 will find its way into the new Passat. The new platfrom, as it is a larger Jetta platform will house a transverse driveline. As mentioned, the 2.0T FSI motor will fit in both longituinal and transverse layouts, but any Audi 90 degree V6 motor will not fit. Therefore the VR6 motor will be used. However the DSG transimision found in the TT and R32 would be a good fit for a sporty Passat!
Lots of things to be excited about!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.