VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my March issue of European Car and there is no mention of the project 2.0L jetta. Will it not appear in every issue?

I was really looking forward to some good reading.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: No Project Black Dog in March issue of European Car. What gives? (VW97Jetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]Maybe they got bored with it, since they decided that their 2.0 Jetta was such a crappy and unsafe car....[HR][/HR]​
I suppose I would have the same opinion if I spent most of my day driving $50k+ cars. I think my Jetta handles great compared to other cars I've owned, and I desperately need new suspension.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Re: No Project Black Dog in March issue of European Car. What gives? (zuren1cs)

quote:[HR][/HR]I was really looking forward to some good reading.[HR][/HR]​
Honestly I don't think there is much they are going to do that is any more spectacular then what we find here. Seeing how much they were hating on the car in the original article I don't think they are going to spend all that much money on it. It would be nice to see them really work it over though, make it a more "respectable" car.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Re: No Project Black Dog in March issue of European Car. What gives? (MikeBlaze)

I'm curious to see what parts they pick for the car. It will be the typical suspension, chip, intake, cam, exhaust, wheels, and maybe some extras.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Re: No Project Black Dog in March issue of European Car. What gives? (AllMotor8v)

Personally I'd like to see them build it up as a normal enthusiast would. Start with the small bolt-ons and "basic" mods and then later on going crazy with head work and finally FI. They of all people should have the resources and contacts to get the work done. Sure the crossflow 2.0 8v sucks but you can make it not suck, those lazy bastards just dont care cause it will never make 600 whp. If you guys give me 5 or 6 years I'll do what project black dog never will and report all my findings.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: No Project Black Dog in March issue of European Car. What gives? (tenacious jett)

Most of our project articles run every other month, so you should see Black Dog again in April. As for the build-up, the introduction in the February issue set the theme for the project. This will be a budget build-up that anyone can do with limited time/resources.
If you are looking for crazy project cars keep an eye on the 1.8T Challenge.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Re: No Project Black Dog in March issue of European Car. What gives? ([email protected] car)

quote:[HR][/HR]This will be a budget build-up that anyone can do with limited time/resources.
[HR][/HR]​
Do you guys have any sort of goals for this project, performance wise? Or are you just bolting on all the usual suspects?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Re: No Project Black Dog in March issue of European Car. What gives? ([email protected] car)

quote:[HR][/HR] This will be a budget build-up that anyone can do with limited time/resources. If you are looking for crazy project cars keep an eye on the 1.8T Challenge.[HR][/HR]​
So basically, this is not really going to be too much different than what guys here are already doing, or is it? Not sure what you mean by limited time and resources. What may be limited to me, may be a lifetime to some others

Don't take any offense to the comments, please. Just need some clarification. Is the project timeframe going to run along the lines of someting like the earlier SCC work (ie. 300hp MR2, 150mph supercharged Civic, the Black Sentra SE-R, etc).

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Re: No Project Black Dog in March issue of European Car. What gives? (aatap)

quote:[HR][/HR] This will be a budget build-up that anyone can do with limited time/resources. If you are looking for crazy project cars keep an eye on the 1.8T Challenge.
So basically, this is not really going to be too much different than what guys here are already doing....[HR][/HR]​
Kinda sounds like it...although I doubt they'll go to the extremes that some folks have here. Typical bolt ons....maybe 120WHP. Too bad they didn't have the time, money, and effort to build an "ultimate" streetable 2.0. Screw the 1.8T.....anyone can make decent numbers with just a turbo upgrade and a chip. Big deal....

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: No Project Black Dog in March issue of European Car. What gives? (aatap)

They said the budget would be $4k so I suppose a turbo setup couldn't be out of the question but the tone of the article makes it sound like they want a reliable, daily driver that a non-gear head can make. We shall see!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]They said the budget would be $4k so I suppose a turbo setup couldn't be out of the question but the tone of the article makes it sound like they want a reliable, daily driver that a non-gear head can make. We shall see![HR][/HR]​
That is a good budget for an average car enthusiast, and if they are a good shopper it can take you far. I'm still bummed that they aren’t going all out on the ABA. Has any tuner or magazine gone all out crazy on a 2.0 8v? Looking through the customer gallery at Potterman's I've seen a few 2.0 with loads of work. It this one

2.0 ATP turbo, nitrous, and more. It's not what I want for my car but it is a very nice car that someone put time and effort into and that is respectable. I’d like to see a project car that takes on this level of work.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

hmmmm I'm sitting here next to my European Car renewal card. Reading this article makes me wanna tell them to fudge off.

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
Re: No Project Black Dog in March issue of European Car. What gives? (VAGaddict)

I'm completely done w/ European Car. Sorry, it was decent for a time, but IMO the quality of the publication has fallen off. Especially when considering they hardly ever deal with the entire foundation of the magazine. Project Black Dog caused me to pause a bit, but I'll just read a friends magazine when they publish something about it.
Like mentioned previously on this post, there is a lot of similar information presented on the tex. As long as you know where to look and talk to more then one person, you're usually presented w/ enough information to make an informed decision. Sure, I would love it see a totally done over NA 2.0L (they defintiely have the resources to do it) but when reading the set up for Black Dog, it's quite obvious they've already given up on the project. Seems more like an add for performance parts then anything else. And, when several pages before this one they talk about how bomb proof the 2.0L engine is, then go into thier ragging.. seems a bit hypocritical to me.
Whatever.. sorry to rag. I do hope that it turns out opposite of what I think it will.. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

EDIT: where did that hooked on phonics tape go?

[Modified by ramylson, 10:50 AM 2-4-2003]

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Re: No Project Black Dog in March issue of European Car. What gives? (ramylson)

For someone who is considering picking up a used 2.0 it might be a decent series of articles, but for those of us that are already 2.0 enthusiasts I don't really think they could do anything we haven't already seen.
What I would like to see is an in depth comparison of parts, like suspension or cams or something. Because most readers aren't able to buy 5 different sets of shocks and springs and compare them, but the magazine might be able to do that. Either that or an all-out horsepower build up. I know a lot of people considering turbocharging would like to see a magazine do some tests and find out what works and what doesn't. That could easily run over $4000 but it would be interesting and they could sell the car afterwards if it ran well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: No Project Black Dog in March issue of European Car. What gives? (jasonyates)

It's tough to satisfy everybody with one Project Car. The goal that Dan Barnes set with Black Dog was performance on a budget. Not just whp, but handling and braking as well. As far as all-out, no holds barred total performance the 1.8T Challenge should be entertaining and informative. There should be a multitude of chassis set-ups, plus front drive vs. quattro. Alot of good information should be gathered about what really works and what doesnt.

·
Registered
776 Posts

Not to sound like an a$$, but we already know that the 1.8t challenge will be neat. But most of us don't really care. We are 2.0 enthusiasts, so I don't think the majority of us would be nearly as interested in a 1.8t tuning as we would be of a 2.0 tuning. We are interested in seeing what can be done with our engine, not the 1.8t. That is why many people are angry that you are only spending $4k on the ABA, when you could dump tens of thousands into it, and pump out 300+whp. That is what we'd want to see.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: No Project Black Dog in March issue of European Car. What gives? (felixthecat)

Maybe you should give the Challenge another look, you 2liter guys will still get alot of info on chassis set-up, handling and braking- plus we are allowing block boring and stroking so there could be some bad ass 2L plus engines in the competition. Bottom line, if this goes as good as I think it will, next year european car could be hosting the 2Liter Challenge or the VR6 Challenge, etc.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.