VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a local auto parts place that was open on Sun. Lordco. To my surprise they told me there are no rear drum back plates available, at all. Is this true? If there is I would like to know for sure (and where) becasue both my rear drum brakes are buggered. Both bleeder valves snapped off and the rear brake cylinders are so old that the two allen key bolts are corroded on permanetly, holding down the old cylinders that I wanna take off. I thought the simple solution was to get rid of everything and start new.
1/ what size is the four allen key bolts that hold the cylinders on?
2/ if I have to work with my original back plate, how on earth can I get the bolts out without wrecking parts.
thank you Frank

Modified by westcoastrabbit at 12:05 PM 7-24-2005

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: No rear drum bake plate available??? Please help with rear brake q's... (westcoastrabbit)

Rear backing plates can be reused unless they are completely rusted apart.
The rear brake cylinder is secured with two metric allen screws (believe they are either 7mm or 8mm), and the cylinder can be easily removed.
If you can not remove the two allen bolts, then use a dremel or small grinder to remove the heads of the bolts.
Then just wire brush the backing plates and repaint them. Good luck, WWR.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.