VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The amp is on and all the connections to the amp are fine but there is no sound from the speakers. It is an amp with two lit-up meters, normally the meters are fluctuating with the music but they are pinned to 0. I thought it might be the signal wire coming from the head unit, but the other amp, the one for the subwoofer, is on and the subwoofer is working. The signal wire is shared among the two amps as are the RCA outputs through a crossover because the radio only has one pre-amp out.
Any help with this. It sucks having no radio
Thanks

· Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: No sound from speakers, need some help with this. (Jett'in)

I fiddled with it a bit today and I noticed that the PROTECT light is on on the amp but not the POWER light. I swapped all of the connections onto another amp and sound was coming from the speakers but at a VERY LOW volume.
What could be the problem?

· Registered
96 Posts

what kinda of deck and amp is it? also has the amp worked before with this setup? my guess is that the pre-out on the back of the deck is a sub pre-out (hence only the sub is working). what you need is a high low converter. basicly it connects to the normal speaker wires that come out of the deck and converts them to a RCA pre-out, then run a new set of 4 channel rca's back to the amp and it should all work nicely. sorry if this doesn;t make sense. its late and iv been doing homework all night

as for the protect light comeing on on the amp could be a whole nother problem

· Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: No sound from speakers, need some help with this. (JuniorPimp)

Yes this setup has been owrking for the past 5-6 years. All of a sudden no sound is coming from the speakers, only the sub. The deck is an Alpine unit and the amp isa Crunch unit.

· Registered
96 Posts

your amp is probably dead or theres a short or somthing causeing the protect light to come on on the amp. try disconnecting one speaker at a time from the amp to rule out a short in the wires. if it starts working when after you take a speaker off (lets say right front) then you know you have a short somewhere in that wire. if it doesn't play at all then the amp is probably dead.
-JP

· Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: No sound from speakers, need some help with this. (JuniorPimp)

What does it mean that when I hooked up another amp, the sound came out of the speakers at a LOW volume. It was disproportionately lower to the sound level coming from the sub.

· Registered
96 Posts

sorry i didn't see that part of the post. i dont have very much experience with crossovers but my guess is that it means that the crossover is bad and its only sending a good signal to the sub. (i know this is a stupid question, but just to make sure) did you double check to make sure the gains and high pass filter (if it has one) were set right? double check the radio to.
if i were you id go to circuit city, bestbuy or any caraudio shop and get a 4ch high low converter, wire that to the regular speaker outputs on the back of the deck and run 4ch RCA's back to the amp. the circuitcity i work at the converter is like 30-40 bucks and a cheap set of rca's is like 30. imo thats a better way to hook it up, without buying a new deck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.