VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the bentley is really vauge on this subject. i've got 12v comming from the black wire that goes to the coil with the ignition on, but theres no spark comming out of the coil when cranking it?
any ideas? btw this is a digifant 16v hybrid but the ignition wiring is the same on a 1.8 8v 88-92?
thanks
edit: btw the coil was working exactly 1 week ago when i had this car running... i dont think it went bad that quickly.

[Modified by JNXtheband, 10:26 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Re: no spark, but im getting 12v to the coil WTF? (JNXtheband)

just because you have power to the coil does'nt mean you'll get power out of the coil!!!! if you get no spark its most likely your coil!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Re: no spark, but im getting 12v to the coil WTF? (far4ngnwolfie)

the hall sensor tells the coil to fire at certain points. pull your dizzy cap off and you will see the metal ( cup ) with cut outs in it . under that is the hall sensor. if it does not see a signal there is no pulse to the coil. the coil does not fire just because your engine is turning over it needs a signal.

[Modified by trickgti, 9:18 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Re: no spark, but im getting 12v to the coil WTF? (trickgti)

use a ohmeter and test for resistance in the coil. The specs for a dead coil are in the bentley.
EDIT: Also disconnect the hall sender connector and put a test light in between the battery and hall sender. when the sender has power the light should flash on and off, if nothing happens, the hall sender is dead.

[Modified by The_Jerbel, 10:26 PM 4-11-2002]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.