VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little background on my no start problem.Sit back and have a beer, as this is a long one!
96 VR6 OBD II with a 2001 head and block from a 94 Passat. New headgasket,timing chains, guides, and tensioner.I have fuel, checked gas flowing from fuel line, and there is fuel on plugs.Engine will turnover, but not fire and run. Starter and battery have been ruled out.
Car ran when engine first installed, but loose bolt on intermediate shaft sprocket necessitated the engine and tranny to be pulled to tighten bolt.
Re-install engine/tranny and will not start. Double checked timing, all good. Checked spark, #1and #4 cyl have weak spark compared to #2 cyl. Replaced coilpack, engine turns over and fires for 2 seconds. Change cam position sensor, engine will turnover. Changed plugs, engine will turnover-and fire for 2 seconds.Changed crank position sensor, engine will turnover- no fire.
Checked continuity at all sensors-all good.
Checked voltage at #1 fuel inj-with ignition in on position +5.7V
Trying to start car -(neg.)5.7 to -6V

Do any of the VR6 gurus have any kind of things I can try or look for to get this car running? Any and all help would be appreciated-tried searching, but search is down right now.
TIA
Rycou

·
Registered
303 Posts
Re: No start-VR6 install (kevinmacd)

I had some issues similar to that on my swap. Everything looked good and sometimes it just wouldn't start. I would check all the grounds and make sure they are making good contact. Once I fixed all of them properly it fired right up (after shocking the person helping me check for good spark
)
-jeff

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: No start-VR6 install (rycou34)

probably a long shot, but try unlocking your doors, the stock alarm might be killing the ignition

1 - 7 of 7 Posts