VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a bang like a ran over something on a dirt road. Kept driving fine. Got to my destination OK. But when I went to leave, the car started fine, idled fine, but NO throttle response and EPC light on. I had to abandon it in the middle of the forest. I ran codes with an OBD reader. It's a 2004 Beetle, standard trans. 2 liter. Not a turbo.
P0038 HO2S Heated oxygen sensor High Voltage.
P0141 HO2S Heated oxygen sensor Circuit Malfunction
P2128 TP Accelerator Position Sensor, Switch E - High input
P2123 TP Throttle Position Sensor switch D - High input
P0221 TP Accelerator Position Sensor APP Circuit Performance
I looked under the car and found the wire to the O2 sensor on the exhaust pipe had been pulled down in a dangling U shape that was dragging on the ground. the wires seemed to be OK and it was all still connected.
I have heard that this wire can short and fry the ECU.
I need to buy the parts and head up to the forest and fix it, so need to know what to get first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and what I mean by "get first" is that I was about to buy a new throttle body assembly, but then saw some posts about frying the ECU because of the O2 wire, So I don't want to buy, wait for delivery, go out there and install a new throttle body, when someone here may know better. Wasting Time and Money

·
Registered
457 Posts
Unfortunately I don't see how the throttle control is related to the heated Oxygen sensor except through the ECU. The wiring for the throttle is not exposed to road damage so it would be unlikely that its harness would have been damaged at the same time. Also, the Oxygen sensor heater is only activated for a few minutes after start-up, so it is off most of the time. If the heater circuit was shorted it would not have damaged the ECU until the next time you started the engine. Be sure to sort out the Oxygen sensor harness first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately I don't see how the throttle control is related to the heated Oxygen sensor except through the ECU. The wiring for the throttle is not exposed to road damage so it would be unlikely that its harness would have been damaged at the same time. Also, the Oxygen sensor heater is only activated for a few minutes after start-up, so it is off most of the time. If the heater circuit was shorted it would not have damaged the ECU until the next time you started the engine. Be sure to sort out the Oxygen sensor harness first.
That sounds exactly like what happened. The car drove fine until the next time I started the engine. would unplugging the sensor and removing the wires prevent the problem from persisting? Should I buy the throttle position sensor first or go straight to the ECU?

·
Registered
457 Posts
If it were me, I'd go for the ECU. Unplugging the rear O2 sensor and securing the cable will be OK if that disconnects the damage part of the cabling. It will throw an emissions code but won't affect how the engine runs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.