VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 87 Scirocco 16v

Problem: I cant get an amperage reading from the DPR. I'm using a brand TT Tuning test harness with my MAC multi meter. Meter test leads and fuses are good. on a side note i noticed when i unplug the cars plug from the DPR with the car running it doesn't make a difference how the engine runs, at least at idle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advnace

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm no expert on this but have you tried to test it while driving the car? Under load the results may be different then testing it in out of gear.
I had an issue with my DPR and I ended up taking a spare one that I had and installing that. No difference.
I then "adjusted" the spare one richer by the method explained in a post you can find in this section.
Using a wideband A/F meter I was able to adjust the DPR to give me the desired A/F ratio while under load.
This was for a race car and not a street car.

I found that tuning a CIS system is way easier with a wideband meter then measuring the voltages at various points.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the response. I'm trying to just do the standard milliamp reading that there are a few write ups on. Supposedly you can get a good reading with the engine at idle after its warmed up. I think I may have a problem with my DPR.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Check the test equipment first. Have you checked the continuity of the test from pin to pin to make sure the harness works? Have you checked your multimeter to verify it reads current values? Have you tried a different multimeter?

In the Bentley manual for the MK2, the DPR can be tested with the ignition off and the DPR unplugged. The resistance across the two electrical connectors of the DPR should be in the range 17-22 ohms.

The highest value the DPR current reading will be right after startup when the DPR current should be 120 mA or more for 30-60 seconds.

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
Most milliamp gauges have a fuse. I would check that. If it does not have fuse, the gauge is probably smoked. Some gauges have a different location to plug in the lead too [Fluke for one].

I would also check the resistance of the regulator too. There should be something. I have never seen one bad, but that does not mean yours is good. 22 ohms like the other guy said sounds about right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts