VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently AoA has already moved 563 A3s. Who'da thunk it?! You can be #564, though!

AoA PR said:
Audi sets new February sales record in 2014

• All-time best February marks 38th consecutive month of record sales for the brand
• Audi Certified pre-owned sales set 7th straight monthly record
• February was a strong month for Audi A6, Q7, and R8 sales

HERNDON, Va., Mar 3, 2014 - Audi reported February 2014 sales of 10,881 vehicles, which stands as the brand’s 38th consecutive month of record monthly sales.

“Audi sales continued to remain strong with C and D segment vehicles – A6, A7, A8, Q7 – throughout the month of February, which shows the progress of the Audi brand and our retail partners are making in the U.S.,” said Mark Del Rosso, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Audi of America.

February results were bolstered by sales of Audi luxury SUVs, with the Audi Q7 luxury crossover posting a 33.6% gain in February on 1,229 units delivered for the month and year-to-date sales increased 38% to a total of 2,497 vehicles.

Luxury sedan sales remain strong as the Audi A6 increased 27.2% to 1,743 vehicles sold for the month, while YTD sales increased 22.6% to 3,224 vehicles sold.

Audi has experienced increasing demand for the updated 2014 Audi R8 models, including the Audi R8 V8, Audi R8 V10 and Audi R8 V10 plus. Audi R8 January sales rose 40% MTD and 52.5% YTD.

February 2014 was the 7th consecutive record month for Audi Certified pre-owned vehicles sales with an increase of 17.3% for the month, to a total of 3,267 vehicles.

Highlights:
• Sales mix for Audi S performance variants finished the month at 14.7% for the S4 sedan; 33.1% for the S5/ RS 5; 5.2% for the S6; 25.8% for the S7 / RS 7; 14.2% for the S8; 33.9% for the TTS / TT RS and TTS Roadster, and 7.9% for the SQ5 crossover.
• Sales of A6 increased to 27.2% compared to February 2013; YTD sales grew 22.6% compared to previous period.
• Sales of the Audi Q7 increased 33.6% compared to February 2013; YTD sales grew 38% compared to previous period.
• Audi R8 sales up 40% compared to February 2013; YTD sales grew 52.5% compared to previous period.
• Sales mix for Audi A6 TDI finished the month at 11.6% to 202 vehicles sold, for the Audi A7 TDI at 8.8% to 55 vehicles, for the A8 TDI to 16.4% to 59 vehicles, the Audi Q5 TDI at 16% to 422 vehicles, and for the Audi Q7 TDI at 25.2% to 310 vehicles; with an overall increase of 14.6% to 1,048 total TDI sales for February.
• Audi Certified pre-owned sales increased 17.3% to 3,267 vehicles in February.
• Audi holds the longest running monthly record sales streak in the premium car market according to a completive sales report from MotorIntelligence.com.

- End –

ABOUT AUDI
Audi of America, Inc. and its U.S. dealers offer a full line of German-engineered luxury vehicles. AUDI AG is among the most successful luxury automotive brands globally. The Audi Group delivered 1,575,500 vehicles to customers globally in 2013, and broke all-time company sales records for the 4th straight year in the U.S. Through 2018, AUDI AG will invest about $30 billion on new products, facilities and technologies. Visit www.audiusa.com or www.audiusanews.com for more information regarding Audi vehicles and business topics.

AUDI US SNAPSHOT--YTD--
Model LineFeb. '14 ActualFeb. '13 ActualYr/Yr % changeFeb. '14 YTD ActualFeb. '13 YTD ActualYr/Yr % change
A356339243.6%563623-9.6%
A42,2162,635-15.9%4,4105,091-13.4%
A51,0301,173-12.2%1,9552,373-17.6%
A61,7431,37027.2%3,2242,62922.6%
A76285886.8%1,2521,286-2.6%
A8360395-8.9%697899-22.5%
allroad281454-38.1%585753-22.3%
Audi Q52,6432,753-4.0%5,4175,0976.3%
Audi Q71,22992033.6%2,4971,80938.0%
R8705040.0%1519952.5%
TT118147-19.7%231274-15.7%
Total Audi Sales10,88110,8770.0%20,98220,9330.2%
Total CPO Sales3,2672,78617.3%6,4285,62914.2

NOTES: - 2013 A4 includes A4 sedan and S4 sedan, but does not include Audi allroad. - 2013 A5 includes Audi A5 coupe, S5 coupe, RS 5 coupe, A5 Cabriolet, S5 Cabriolet and RS 5 Cabriolet models. - 2013 A6 includes Audi A6 sedan and S6 sedan. - 2013 A7 includes A7 sedan, S7 and RS 7 sedan. - 2013 A8 includes Audi A8 sedan, A8 L sedan and S8 sedan models. - TT includes Audi TT, TTS, TT RS coupe; TT and TTS roadster models. - R8 includes Audi R8 coupe and R8 Spyder models.
Now, you tell me what's happening here. I'll tell you what I think is happening here.

I think they've gotten creative with their accounting in order to ensure February doesn't end their 37 consecutive record months. Take a look at the total Audi sales- 10,881 in February 2014, 10,877 in February 2013. They could've gotten by with 560 A3s, I suppose, but why stop at one unit better? ;)

So... where are these 563 A3s? I have to figure they've just "sold" them to the dealers as they intend to do at some point for the demo fleets- but one would reasonably expect them to be on the ground to be sold, no? I sure would.

I also think this spells the end of the idea that customer deliveries won't start until early April. I can't see them fudging the numbers another month in a row. They're going to move these things in March if at all possible in order to lessen the risk of cutting the record at 38 months.

Strange things afoot... :sly:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Apparently AoA has already moved 563 A3s. Who'da thunk it?! You can be #564, though!

Now, you tell me what's happening here. I'll tell you what I think is happening here.

I think they've gotten creative with their accounting in order to ensure February doesn't end their 37 consecutive record months. Take a look at the total Audi sales- 10,881 in February 2014, 10,877 in February 2013. They could've gotten by with 560 A3s, I suppose, but why stop at one unit better? ;)

So... where are these 563 A3s? I have to figure they've just "sold" them to the dealers as they intend to do at some point for the demo fleets- but one would reasonably expect them to be on the ground to be sold, no? I sure would.

I also think this spells the end of the idea that customer deliveries won't start until early April. I can't see them fudging the numbers another month in a row. They're going to move these things in March if at all possible in order to lessen the risk of cutting the record at 38 months.

Strange things afoot... :sly:

Couldn't it be the A3 hatchback?

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
It does seem fishy when the sales increase by 4 cars from last Feb. I don't know when they record a sale, when vehicle finishes or when it gets off their plant property.

On the other hand, if they are building up inventory before they ship and then take a week or two from now until they ship, how long would it take from this point to get to your dealer? Guessing from plant - train, port, ship, port, truck to local dealer, possibly with a delay at the U.S. port as they build up inventory.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Four weeks minimum, IMO- and that's rushing through US port processing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
they also didn't mention that Audi is quietly putting cash on the hood for the C/D segment cars and the allroad, which they can't even give away.

Last time I was in the dealer, it was all about take an A6 for a sweetheart deal or please, oh please dear heaven take one of our A7's, the $1M inventory of them is killing us! I think I could have gotten them to throw in a free allroad if I took an A8. ;)

In fairness though, Audi's are popular in the northeast, and no one is buying cars right now in the northeast.

We're all about hating the bitter cold right now and staying indoors and being angry about not buying snowblowers at last year's black friday sales. going out in single digit temperatures to sit on frozen leather seats at the dealer is not a priority. Things should pick-up with the weather. I'm sure there's some pent-up demand out there.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
t. Things should pick-up with the weather. I'm sure there's some pent-up demand out there.
Yeah, I do agree on that. Come spring there should be a pretty substantial jump in overall commerce, if for no other reason than home repairs after this winter. Roofs, driveways, brick and mortar, gutters are all going to be in serious disrepair after this season.

As for cars - agreed on all fronts, especially the allroad. I find that the dealers around here tend to press their allroads into loaner service and then try moving them as CPOs or used with under 10,000 on the clock. Problem is, most dealers aren't providing much of a deal on them and the price point on the allroad is already at a substantial premium over the Q5, which can be found in substantial CPO quantity these days at a very attractive price.

I think that this winter will be harsh on a lot of middle - older aged cars (eg: mine) as potholes devour shocks, struts, tie rods and the like. There will be a lot of service and replacement work come this spring.

Up at one of my local dealers recently I was speaking with a GM I know and he mentioned that since December the only buyers have been people with leases that are up or cars that have fallen over dead.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think that this winter will be harsh on a lot of middle - older aged cars (eg: mine) as potholes devour shocks, struts, tie rods and the like. There will be a lot of service and replacement work come this spring.

Up at one of my local dealers recently I was speaking with a GM I know and he mentioned that since December the only buyers have been people with leases that are up or cars that have fallen over dead.
tell me about it.
We lost one tire and two windshields this winter.
the potholes are deep and transient. One day they could be full of solid ice, the next day they're 8" deep and filled with water. Either you slide or taco a rim. neither is fun.

roughest I've ever seen it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
tell me about it.
We lost one tire and two windshields this winter.
the potholes are deep and transient. One day they could be full of solid ice, the next day they're 8" deep and filled with water. Either you slide or taco a rim. neither is fun.

roughest I've ever seen it.
Which begs the question......why live there?
It was 74 degrees here this past weekend. I know of only one "pothole" in the city and it is about an inch deep and easily avoidable.
I can imagine single digit temps being fun for a week or while skiing, but I could never imagine living that way.
If I ever move out of this city, I will be going further south. If I never saw another temp below 40, I would be fine.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I find that the dealers around here tend to press their allroads into loaner service and then try moving them as CPOs or used with under 10,000 on the clock. Problem is, most dealers aren't providing much of a deal on them and the price point on the allroad is already at a substantial premium over the Q5, which can be found in substantial CPO quantity these days at a very attractive price.
More "evidence" for Audi to construe as the common conception that "Americans dont want to buy wagons".

They severely overpriced the Allroad from the start and gave it no equipment over an A4 to justify the differential, subsequently they cant move them and I am sure that will strengthen their idea that other wagon/sportback models will not do well in the USA.

We really liked the Allroad, but theres no way in hell we are going to pay over $40k for a stripper model. (And whats up with the chrome-only grille option? Yuck)

·
Registered
303 Posts
More "evidence" for Audi to construe as the common conception that "Americans dont want to buy wagons".

They severely overpriced the Allroad from the start and gave it no equipment over an A4 to justify the differential, subsequently they cant move them and I am sure that will strengthen their idea that other wagon/sportback models will not do well in the USA.

We really liked the Allroad, but theres no way in hell we are going to pay over $40k for a stripper model. (And whats up with the chrome-only grille option? Yuck)
yep.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

One of the dealers in the region had a new 2013 allroad as recently as a few weeks ago. It appears to be gone now.

For the right price, I could be moved to replace the Rabbit with an allroad and put off my S3 purchase for some time. I don't think Audi's ready to meet that "right price," though.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If Audi offered the A4 avant at (close to) the same price as the A4 (and included the manual option like the standard A4), we would already own one.

For them to upcharge FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS for a car with an identical drivetrain that ISN'T EVEN FULLY PAINTED is downright ludicrous.

Audi....

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
One of the dealers in the region had a new 2013 allroad as recently as a few weeks ago. It appears to be gone now.

For the right price, I could be moved to replace the Rabbit with an allroad and put off my S3 purchase for some time. I don't think Audi's ready to meet that "right price," though.
Should get a 2012 A4 Avant...allroad instead of the wife getting the Q5?
I highly doubt if you wanted a Cayman, then S3, settling for an allroad would be a stretch

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Should get a 2012 A4 Avant...allroad instead of the wife getting the Q5?
I highly doubt if you wanted a Cayman, then S3, settling for an allroad would be a stretch
Chris is right- the allroad, replacing the Rabbit, would jump ahead of the S3, replacing the GLI... *if* the price were right. While I still really want the S3, we put miles on the Rabbit at a much faster clip (easily 2x miles per year on the Rabbit at this point). Of course, there's also the argument in favor of keeping the Rabbit, with its bulletproof 2.5L motor, over putting another 2.0T potential nightmare in the garage, especially as the "pile the miles on" road-going car.

Longer term, the options for the Rabbit replacement are the Q5 (likely TDI), the allroad, or the A3 eTron. I want something hatch or wagon based for the Rabbit replacement. After what I'm going to spend on the S3, I don't foresee wanting to spend Q5 TDI money. I also don't foresee the Q3 being large enough to make it a worthwhile consideration.

Hey, Audi... you listening? Yeah? Whip up a MQB-based wagon derivative of the A3, drop the TDI in it, and mail it to the US. You could sweep the meh B8 A4 allroad under the rug when the B8 croaks and give the US a chance at a wagon that is actually competitive. I like the idea of the allroad (clearly, as I'd actually consider buying one), but as Chris has said, it's just packaged like someone wanted to set the allroad product team for failure.

... and the other part... I can't do a 2012 A4 Avant. I can't do the pre-PI styling. It's just not quite "there," IMO.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.