VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When turning the steering wheel of my wife's 2000 Jetta there's a scraping/ grinding noise you can hear inside the car. It doesn't happen all the time only at a stop or moving slowly but when it does its annoying.
Two separate dealerships stated they couldn't replicate the problem and couldn't find any trouble with the front end when inspected.
Anybody have any thoughts?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Re: Noise when turning the steering wheel? (jettago)

I've been having this happen to me a lot, and I figured out what it was yesterday. When I turned full lock to the right I would hear scraping and it sounds really bad like a clutch. It's the plastic wheel well liner rubbing against your tire. Mine is loose for some reason and shes goin in to the dealer tomorrow for a whole new back end and trunk because people can't drive in MD
and i'll get it fixed then.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Re: Noise when turning the steering wheel? (BlakeyBoy)

check the fenderwell liners.
if it is more of a whining noise, check your power steering fluid.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Re: Noise when turning the steering wheel? (jettago)

I have got this same noise, it only happens on the drivers side, and it only happens when my foot is on the brake, and I am turning, or going in a driveway.
I noticed wear on the fender well liner that connects to the sheet metal, so I re-secured it, and trimmed the areas that where rubbing.
The fender well liner is absolutely not the problem, still have the noise, dealer could not duplicate problem.
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: Noise when turning the steering wheel? (Morgan Perez)

I have been having the same problem also. Any more info/Help would be appreciated http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Re: Noise when turning the steering wheel? (DriverFound07)

check your power steering fluid, I had the same problem on my jetta, it is in between the washer fluid and engine coolant, it is a little green plug that you twist off, It has its on dipstick, once I checked it was very low, I filled it up with the power steering fluid from the dealer about $11.00 and no more noise. you can only use the vw power steering fuid from dealer, pep boys stuff will mess up the car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts