VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the search engine ... didn't come up with any hits. Does anyone else have "really noisy" wipers? You can really tell the difference when you have the rear wiper on (you can barely hear it).
Is there anything I can do to quiet them down? It's sort of like a squeak.
hm

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Re: Noisy Wipers (hmatos)

Mine are really quiet, but what's up with the green wiper extension on the passanger side? Did the dealer forget to pull something off in Dealer prep? It's kinda like a 5" long green mini wiper attatched to the end of the regular wiper????

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Re: Noisy Wipers (Eric Dow)

Quote, originally posted by Eric Dow »
Mine are really quiet, but what's up with the green wiper extension on the passanger side? Did the dealer forget to pull something off in Dealer prep? It's kinda like a 5" long green mini wiper attatched to the end of the regular wiper????

The Green part is just a cover used in shipping, it should slide right off.
If your wipers are noisy, they may have been faulty from the factory. You might have your dealer check them out for you.
The other thing that sometimes makes wipers noisy is sap on the windshield. If it is a light covering, you can't see it and it makes the wipers chatter.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My rear wiper chattered, and after looking at the glass, I could feel (but not see) a rouch coating all over the rear window and hatch. The dealer applied a little greybar and now all is smooth and chatter free.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Mine start out quiet after cleaning, but quickly deteriorate to a consistent chatter during a steady downpour. That's atrocious, considering I've only had my car for less than a month.
I've had great success using PIAA silicone wiper blades, and I'd like to install them. However, the Touareg has an unusual wiper design, and I don't know if standard aftermarket blades will fit.

Modified by TReg510 at 3:57 PM 12-2-2003

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (TReg510)

Same here (11/9) -- luckily it doesn't rain much here (except for winter -- all 3 months of it). It's funny how the rear wiper doesn't make any noise. All I hear is the swoosh as it wipes the water off. I hear constant squeaking against the glass in the front wipers. I guess I better start a list of things for the dealer to check at the 5k service.

·
Registered
722 Posts

Our rear one is really loud - lots of clicks and clacks, and the driverside front one is quiet, but doesn't clean worth a damn..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is there any coating on the windshield? Some wiper fluid contains a substance that is designed to repel water but it can also cause clatter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: (stephenkyu)

In a thread a few weeks ago we discussed cleaning the window with a little Bon Ami cleanser. I have used it for years with no problem. That will remove any junk from you glass.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Are these the same wipers as the Cayenne? Apparently they have a new generation rubber blade that's put on for people who have complaints about the originals.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Does anyone know if the wiper blade INSERTS can be removed? It might be worth a shot to replace these, keeping the Touareg's unique wipers.

·
Registered
5 Posts

my T just came out of service and the wiper thing is something I complained about. after wiping for a while it would begin to 'judder'. Right wiper, in my case this is the driver's as it is a right hand drive model.
VW confirmed that there is a TSB on it and have ordered the new 'redesigned' wiper arm. maybe this applies to you guys too!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: Noisy Wipers (BJMRGTIVR6)

It appears the Touareg wiper arms do not lay the blade at a right angle to the curve of the glass, leading to a nice smooth pull of the blade on the advance stroke and a push of the blade on the retreating. The trailing edge of the blade should always be pulled and not pushed, hence the chatter.
A guy over at club touareg mentioned that you can bend the pin that holds the blade to the wiper arm a few degrees, making the blade a right angle and alleviating the problem.

·
Registered
632 Posts

Does anyone know if there really is a TSB for noisy wipers? I checked all of the TSBs on ClubTouareg and could not find one.

·
Registered
46,077 Posts
Re: Noisy Wipers (I8ABUG)

Quote, originally posted by I8ABUG »
Does anyone know if there really is a TSB for noisy wipers? I checked all of the TSBs on ClubTouareg and could not find one.

Note that Member: Bianx, none none, 2005 VW Touareg TDI is not located in the USA or Canada as he has a 2005 TDI model. He says there is a TSB. If there is one, it doesn't seem to be issued from VWOA. Perhaps he can obtain a copy of the TSB and tell us what country it is from?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I just got off the phone with my dealer on the exact same issue. They say there is no TSB from VWoA. Im thinking of calling VW and ripping them a new one for this and for the driver's side monster mat that keeps shredding on me.
Im sick of this stupid stuff on a 40k car... I love my Treg.. but this stuff drives me nutz...
At any rate, I'll try the bending of the pin trick too, if it doesnt look like something will break, but replacing the blades at $60 a pop for only 3 weeks of normal service only to be back in the same problem again, is not a solution.
Whoever posted that they got the arm replaced, can you please say when and by who? if your dealer can quote a TSB or anything official on it?
Uri

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: (Uriah)

Just a note on finding the OE wiper blades cheaper than the dealer.
I just received a set of wiper blades from Autohaus in AZ. $39.46 for a pair. If you add in an oil filter, free shipping.
http://www.autohausaz.com/sear...mbly
Still expensive, but in line with Bosch Micro Edge Excel that I've used on my other vehicles. I just bought a set of Bosch Icon blades for my wife's passat. Same design as the Treg blades, but will mount on a j-hook wiper arm. Sweet.

·
Registered
72 Posts

For the DYI: I had replaced the factory refills with new ANCO refill blades for $8.00 (p/pair), after that, no chatter just smooth sailing.
I do understand that for a $40K+ product this is a major annoyance but I will be honest with you, $60 dollars for a pair of new rubber blades is just to0o0 much.
There was a post on ClubTreg with pictures indicating the procedure of how to replace the refills, I just can't find it now.

Maybe if someone can repost this procedure (with picts) it could save some members a few extra dollars.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks Vega for the quote. I'm the guy from the Touareg post.
The process is harder to explain than do... so if your wipers chatter bad in one direction, i have the answer. To make this simple, please just email me and I can explain over the phone.
thanks, Mark [email protected]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts