VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just bought a 2005 Bettle 1.8 Turbo from her mom with a whopping 3,332 miles on the odometer. This is going to be a daily driver/commuter so we don't want to make it too uncomfortable to drive, but there is one thing that bugs the heck out of me about the car.
The huge gap between the tires and the fender. we're discussing lowering it but i'm not sure which springs would be the best for our needs.
I was looking at the Eibach springs that lower it about 1" but i've heard they're real soft springs. The Neuspeed springs say they'll lower it about 1.5" , but what's the spring rate like.
Also both spring mfg's say "about" when refering to how much their springs drop the car. Is about generally more than the stated amount or less?
Thanks in advance for any input

Modified by 05bettle1.8t at 5:26 PM 1-8-2009

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Re: Noob with lowering question (05bettle1.8t)

Stock ride heights vary depending on equipment and year. Heck, even two cars equipped the same can vary a little in ride height. Hence the "about." And the starting reference is for a car with the base suspension.
For example, a base New Beetle will have a ride height of x. The turbo S model will have a factory sport suspension, and probably have a ride height of x - .5".
If Eibach (not a great source of A4 platform springs, btw) advertise a 1.6" drop, they are referring from x. If your turbo beetle has the factory sport suspension, you will get about 1.1" of lowering.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Re: Noob with lowering question (05bettle1.8t)

I had a similar concern with my GTI - 2" gaps over all 4 wheels even with the "sport suspension".
Went with an H&R Touring Cup kit - after installed the gap is about 0.75 to 1". Looks great! The H&R Sport Cup kit lowers even more but I didn't want to bottom on potholes and such.
Even the alignment was OK after having it checked at the dealer. Handling has not been affected - ride is slightly stiffer but definitely not a headache producer.
Since the kit includes springs and dampers, it is a well designed package. Not sure if H&R makes one for a NB, but probably worth checking,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
o.k., after poking around the site here a little, trying to get familiar with things, I see that H & R sponsors the suspension section.
BTW, the car is a completly stock Bettle with 17" wheels, 205/45 tires and the standard ride height (non-sport suspension)
So I went to their site and found some springs the will lower it 1.4" in the front and 1.2" in the rear. That's just about what i'm looking for.
Wil these work o.k. with the stock struts?
And will I need to go with an aftermarket sway bar?
The only reason I'm asking about the sway bar is, there is a side note for the springs about the axle hitting the sway bar depending on axle size.
Again, thanks for all the advise, and sorry for all the questions. I've just been more acustomed to modifying 60's era muscle cars. This is my first venture into a car like this.

Modified by 05bettle1.8t at 9:01 AM 1-9-2009

·
Registered
320 Posts
Re: (05bettle1.8t)

Quote, originally posted by 05bettle1.8t »
The only reason I'm asking about the sway bar is, there is a side note for the springs about the axle hitting the sway bar depending on axle size.

I believe they will but you may find in certain heavier or lighter car loadings that they bounce a little too much - this could also <possibly> impact contact of the axle with the sway bar.
Think of a car with a shorter set of springs but the same dampers. If the dampers are allowed to travel their full distance, could they create axle contact or even bottom on the stops? Generally, with lowering by using shorter (and always stiffer) springs, the dampers are almost always made to have more resistance to compression or elongation.
Not sure if this helps, usually the only real answer is to try it and see.
Good luck!
When I put the H&R kit on - I did not change sway bars or do any other modifications. I do not have axle contact either even with a fully loaded car.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Re: (05bettle1.8t)

o.k., after poking around the site here a little, trying to get familiar with things, I see that H & R sponsors the suspension section.
BTW, the car is a completly stock Bettle with 17" wheels, 205/45 tires and the standard ride height (non-sport suspension)
So I went to their site and found some springs the will lower it 1.4" in the front and 1.2" in the rear. That's just about what i'm looking for.

Fit? yes. Work? kinda. Last and provide control? No.

You may or may not rub at that drop--but just changing endlinks for longer ones should solve any problems.
Look into H&R OE Sports--or Neuspeed SofSports--if you want some lowering but also retain ride and handling.
As for dampers, Bilstien HDs or sports are the most performance-oriented, while Koni FSDs should retain most comfort. Koni Yellows (sports) offer adjustability and performance. Koni STR.Ts are a new budget damper that is worth checking out. I wouldn't waste money on any other damper than these 4 if you are lowering your car at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts