VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First off, I'm new to the forum, so nice to meet you all. I'm new to learning about my car/DIY maintenance as well so please bear with me if I'm not totally up to speed on everything.

I have a 2014 Jetta SE (US edition) and I'm looking to replace my rear brake pads. When I went online to buy the replacements I noticed that the listed items said either Bosch or TRW caliper and herein lies the problem I'm coming to you all with; I can't for the life of me figure out whether I have Bosch or TRW calipers.

So far I've found this table in an erwin manual for a 2014 Jetta someone else posted on this forum awhile ago (big ups to that guy):

There's another table for "twist beam" rear axles but from other posts I've read here I believe I have "multi-link." So I thought, great, just need to figure what engine I have and I'll know. Checked my vehicle identification sticker, have engine code CPRA, but cross referencing the details for CPRA with this table it doesn't seem like its listed here?

If I'm reading this correctly it should be listed as "1.8 l 125kW" in the table but its just not there? Can anyone offer guidance on how I can figure this out, or does anyone just know? Can I just take a wheel off and figure it out by looking at the caliper instead of sifting through all these manuals?

·
Registered
352 Posts
You dont need to remove anything. Just take a look at the lines where they connect to the caliper.

If you see one bolt: it is a Bosch caliper:

TRW:
If you see flare fitting screwing to the line, it's a TRW:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that is TRW!

2014 Jetta SE
Awesome, really appreciate the help. On a slightly different note--I'm looking to replace the rotors as well. The manual says the diameter is 272mm but the part this auto store lists as fitting my car is 253mm diameter--its not a big deal that its 19mm smaller in diameter right?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Awesome, really appreciate the help. On a slightly different note--I'm looking to replace the rotors as well. The manual says the diameter is 272mm but the part this auto store lists as fitting my car is 253mm diameter--its not a big deal that its 19mm smaller in diameter right?
I would actually measure the rotors and order exact fitment.
Watch this 18min video. He shows all the challenges when changing pads/calipers or rotors! Great video! poor guy ordered everything WRONG! because of all of this TRW vs Bosch and small and big rotors!

I would order exactly the same part number found on the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
According to the manual:
272 mm is Bosch (not you!)
255 mm is TRW

Just so you know, you can go to erwin.vw.com and download all the service manuals for your car for $35.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahh ok--I must be reading the manual wrong, or maybe this manual I have isn't as universal as I thought because what I read lead me to believe the TRW were 272mm diameter as well. I did buy the 35 dollar erwin subscription yesterday but didn't activate it and download everything because I was short on time.

I think I'm prepared for the challenges even though this is my first time--I'm down at my girlfriends place and her dad has a pretty kitted out garage from doing work on cars since before I was born. I'm glad I noticed the little note on the different types of caliper compatibility for the pads and ended up doing my homework otherwise I definitely would have ended up in an even worse spot than the video guy.

Again, appreciate all the help and advice--going to pick up the parts now, will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Job got done in about three evenings :) Biggest time sinks were figuring out how to use the caliper piston compression tool and getting my overtorqued/rusted lug nuts off. Drove up from Maryland to NYC with no problems so I think I did the job right.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Job got done in about three evenings :) Biggest time sinks were figuring out how to use the caliper piston compression tool and getting my overtorqued/rusted lug nuts off. Drove up from Maryland to NYC with no problems so I think I did the job right.
Sounds good and good job!
Any tips or details we should be aware of when doing this job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds good and good job!
Any tips or details we should be aware of when doing this job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm good question. Not sure how useful my insight will be to regulars of the forum as I feel its all basic stuff but the things I would have liked to have known before I started are:

1. At least for these ~250mm rotor discs for the TRWs you can actually shimmy them out from the caliper carrier, so you don't actually need the 14mm triple squares for just a pad/rotor job. It can seem like they won't shimmy out and you have to take the caliper carrier off, but I realized it was because the back pads are a tight fit. If you're dealing with a good dose of corrosion from northeast winters like I was you really just need to get in there with a flathead and pry them off. Might not want to do this if you plan on re-using the pads or rotor but as I was replacing both it was no big deal. Glad I have the triple squares for the future, though.
2. Having the proper caliper piston compression tool and knowing how to use it is crucial for the job. You can't just clamp them down with an old pad and big channellock like other vehicles.
3. At one point I was stressing that the back pads were a tighter fit than the front, but I believe that's normal.
4. Circling around to the reason I began this thread--make sure you know which type of caliper you have! The online shop for the parts store near me got the fitment right for the rotor discs, but listed some pads for Bosch calipers and compatible with my car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts