VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the affordable lightweight wheels i see are japanese offsets like et 40-50. I need something for the track, and i don't want to run spacers. Any help/links etc. very appreciated.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Most of the rota 15's come in 4x100 and ET40. What are you looking for 35 ET? You know you're talking about 1/5th of an inch right...

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for replies. I will try to find the weight on those MB's.
The reason i am looking for that offset isnt for looks really at all.
1. I run a considerable amount of negative camber in the front. This causes the inside edges of my tires to hit the inside of the fender by the frame rail when i need to turn the wheel substantially. If I get more poke to the outside, I may be able to avoid this interference.
2. I plan on running some very big brakes in the future, and I will need the lower offset to clear them
3. A wider stance will give me more grip on the track, and every little mm helps (this is more of a bonus)
Any More Ideas?

·
Registered
9,318 Posts
Re: (ThaCorradoKid)

MB Wheels $109/ea. Competiton is also ET35: http://www.discounttiredirect....06552

Again, no weight listed. There are also some ET38 Enkeis that are somewhat reasonably priced.
1010tires.com has the Motegi Track Lite 2 listed in 15x7, ET35 @10.2lbs, an added bonus I think they are damn good looking, but at $246.99 they ain't exactly cheap.

They also have some other Motegi wheels listed that are ET35.
Beyond that I think you are starting to look at $$$ for some Revolutions or something similar. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks yaksman! I like those motegi's too. I will check out that website too. Right now i am in the middle of calculations to determine some measurements. I have come to conclusion that the offset spec is almost worthless, because it depends on width. They need a "poke" # that will tell you exactly how far outward the rim will go, so i don't have to do these calculations for every different size. Maybe I will make a table of the data when i am done.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Re: Noone makes a cheap, lightweight 4x100 w/ proper vw et 30-35? (ThaCorradoKid)

You might want to try calling Tirerack and ask the offsets they have for the Kosei K1 Racing. I know that they actually drill bolt patterns for the Kosei K1 Racing wheel before they sell them - I called them to see if they had one with the correct offset for my 914, and they said that they could drill the correct bolt pattern (very oddball 4x130 for my car) since the wheels all come as blanks, but that they didn't have the correct offset for me. You may be in the correct range - I know that at least the 17" version of the wheel is in the 35 offset range. Good luck

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Re: (ThaCorradoKid)

I actually just went to the Tirerack website - they have the Kosei K1 racing for your car (Corrado, I assume). At only $109 bucks and 13.5 lbs, can't really beat it.
Good luck searching http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Edit: just out of curiousity, I looked at a bunch of other wheels. They actually have quite a few. One Sport Edition wheel was $70, 15 lbs in a 15x6.5.

Modified by cchen1 at 4:59 PM 4-26-2006

·
Registered
9,318 Posts
Re: (cchen1)

The 15" K1-Racing is ET38, which might still fit, and is a good deal. But the OZ Ultraleggera is only 12lbs in 15x7 ET37, and @ $169/ea, is also a really good deal. Both @ Tirerack.com.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Re: (The Kilted Yaksman)

The Kosei K-1 is a nice wheel, but if it only comes in a 38 et, then it might not be worth it.
here is your answer (which I am surprised no one offered already, as it was my first thought):

Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 (new version of the pro race 1 - spokes are withdrawn form the face, so they don't scuff). You may actually want the pro race 1 (not 1.2) as it may yield a little more brake clearance later on.
They go for a whopping $109 each, and in offsets from 25 to 40mm, IIRC.
go here, then thank me

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Re: (blubayou)

The pro race 2 also comes in the same offsets if you like a 5 spoke design better.
Hard wheel to beat, for the bang-for-the-buck

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Re: (The Kilted Yaksman)

they come hubcentric for miatas in some sizes, or come with the standard aftermarket 73mm cb, which you can get hub rings for.
Worst case, even if you get a 54mm cb (miata size) it can be machined out for a few bucks at any machine shop to fit perfectly on your vw.
Heck, you can even do it with a cylinder hone if you want to do it yourself

1 - 15 of 15 Posts