VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my MKII diesel on the road and during my most recent drive I was stuck in traffic.
My gauge will never move much past this:

Is that normal? While I was in traffic it looked as though it may be over heating.
I also never hear the fans turn on. I've put 12v's to them and they do work.
Is it possible that my two coolant temp sensor plugs are backwards? Would this cause a bad reading?
Both CTS sensors are new as well as the aux fan switch.

·
Registered
15,750 Posts
Re: Normal MKII operating temperature? (BMBLE B)

is the thermoswitch in the radiator new / good?
...And if the temp gauge doesn't move beyond that ever; then either the sender is no good; the sender is screwed into the wrong location (in the aluminum and not directly in the coolant); or your car is actually running at that temperature.

Have you also ensured that you don't have any air pockect in the cooling system?

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Normal MKII operating temperature? (evilrobot0)

Quote, originally posted by evilrobot0 »
is the thermoswitch in the radiator new / good?
...And if the temp gauge doesn't move beyond that ever; then either the sender is no good; the sender is screwed into the wrong location (in the aluminum and not directly in the coolant); or your car is actually running at that temperature.

Have you also ensured that you don't have any air pocket in the cooling system?

Aux fan switch? That's the only one in the rad, and yes it's brand new.
The car has two blue DigifantII CTS. One is on the side of the head and one is on the front. Both are new. My only suspect is that I have the plugs backwards.
I'm pretty certain I don't have an air pocket in the system.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Re: Normal MKII operating temperature? (evilrobot0)

If you jump the terminals in the plug for the temp sensor in the radiator (that one controls the fan) do the fans come on? If not you have a bad fan relay or some variety of wiring problem.. If they do, and that switch is new it may not be hot enough for them to run, or you have a bum switch... The fans should run when the RADIATOR hits about 200 deg F... Usually around 205 - 210 engine temp..
I would find some way to verify the actual engine temp.. Either with one of those infared temp guns, or a meat thermometer in the expansion tank..
One of the temp senors on the engine is for the gauge, the other for the glow plug system... Even with the plugs switched I believe both senors are the same.. You could try switching them and see if your gauge reads different... You could possibly have a temp sensor going south... Or the gauge itself could be off... It's a 15+ year old electric gauge..
These cooling systems are well designed in that it's pretty hard to have an air pocket in the system unless there is trouble somewhere... What made you think it was overheating the day you were stuck in traffic??

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Baron VonZeppelin)

I found a cut in the harness. I believe it operates the fans and the 4th speed on the blower motor (which I am missing)
Gonna run power to it and see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.