VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SAAB may be dead, but Swedish :heart: is alive and well.

This event occurred over the weekend in Deschutes County Oregon.
Had about 200 people and 100 SAABs from the 1950s through 2011 models ... people came from Oregon, Washington, Colorado, North Carolina, Rhode Island, Vancouver B.C, Ontario, Sweden :eek:
a large majority of the attendees have gone to other annual conventions around the country; it's a hardcore group.

there were a decent amount of newer (GM) SAABs as older ones, though not as many as I expected. I don't know much about them so I focused on the classics.

I don't have a camera or computer (I'm lo-tech) but borrowed one of each to post a few pics of my favorite cars here:

The car that made me fall in love with SAAB (Viggen)

for some reason a Noble showed up:

SPG

original owner 99 Turbo and People's Choice winner 1984 900

1979 900 EMS

SAAB 99 + Ford Courier

TCL member IronJoe:

4 of the 7 99s:

Sonett III

another TCL member's monster 99:

and my 99:

I noticed one 99 Turbo owner had a new set of MSS Headers / exhaust in his hatch .. going to drive to Eugene soon and buy myself an early 30th birthday present :D

long live SAAB :beer:

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
4,796 Posts

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
This is awesome.

I'm surprised only a couple hundred people showed. The BMW motorcycle rally I went to a couple years ago had over 5,000 attendees and it was lightly attended that year due to record heat at the site, and a boring location. I think they typically pull 6 or 8,000.

·
Registered
2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe, 2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring
22,199 Posts
This is awesome.

I'm surprised only a couple hundred people showed. The BMW motorcycle rally I went to a couple years ago had over 5,000 attendees and it was lightly attended that year due to record heat at the site, and a boring location. I think they typically pull 6 or 8,000.
Well, considering Saabs are nowhere near as popular as BMWs, that kind of follows doesn't it?

Any 9-4xs show up?

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for sharing. I love Saabs from the early 2-strokes to the V4s to the 99 and on up through the 900 and 9000. Of course I prefer cars like the SPG and Viggen but there's just something so cool and funky about an original 99 with orange cloth interior and those wacky wheels.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
Well, considering Saabs are nowhere near as popular as BMWs, that kind of follows doesn't it?
No, I don't think so. BMW in a record setting year might sell roughly 100k bikes across the whole planet. I think BMW Motorrad USA sales might be 10-12 thousand bikes if things go swimmingly in the USA for a year. I'm fairly sure Saab was selling 20-30k cars a year in the USA ten years ago, so at least twice as many cars as BMW sold bikes.

Also, BMW motorcycle people are totally different from the BMW car folks, and most of them don't cross over. The vast majority of the BMW bike riders have zero interest in the company's cars, and vice versa...so any popularity of BMW cars has just about zero draw for a bike event. So I guess it strikes me as odd that a car company like Saab, that had a pretty substantial cult following and sold cars for decades in the USA only drew 200 people for a national event in a good location. The BMW rally I went to was in Sedalia, MO (not exactly a draw) and was over 100 degrees in the shade. It sucked, and there were a ton of people who bailed out due to the heat. Oregon would be 100 times as attractive a destination.

Not to mention you had to spend around $60 or $70 just to get through the gate at the bike rally!

Heck, I've never even owned a Saab, but have long admired them and would have attended that show if it was anywhere around here. Surprised more people didn't. Head scratcher.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Any 9-4xs show up?
:laugh: no .. surprisingly not even any 9-2xs there. But four of the last-gen 9-5s.
Didn't take many photos but there were about 8 9000s which surprised me, guess they have a cult following. Rode in a friend's 9000 Turbo once and it was damn fast.

Erik Carlsson was there all weekend. He's fkn old but still sharp.

One of the highlights was some drunk local middle-aged oncology nurse crashing our parking-lot party in her c900 convertible :screwy:

Overall it could have been better .. the food sucked (expected much better from Eagle Crest) and there was hardly anyone slinging parts .. but I'll never see that many SAABs again unless I get a passport and a ticket to Trollhattan

·
Registered
301 Posts
I recently picked up a 1998 9000 CSE 5 speed. It is an aero without the seats and body kit. The car is a good hauler and is pretty quick in stock form. T5 ECU tunes are stupid cheap. You could be at 300hp for under $1500 easy.

·
Registered
34,659 Posts
Super awesome! That explains all the classic Saabs driving around town. :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts