VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just replaced every conceivable item that could cause a vacuum leak and sometimes it runs right. Thankfully, it does not fluctuate anymore, it is constant. Whew! I have the idle screw pushed in all the way and when it wants to, it idles at 900. Most of the time however, it idles at 2K like it's set there. I do not have the O2 sensor hooked up because the previous owner hacked the wiring and I'm trying to decipher it.
I don't get it. Sometimes it idles like it should, other times it does not. All gaskets, orings, etc are new. At times, the idle will dip to 1200 for a second like it's going to die and then pops right back up to 2000. Is this a computer problem? Is there a way to pull codes if there are any or the computer supports them? Thanks.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Re: Not an average idle problem. (Kikwear)

Plug in another coolant temp sensor & see if that fixes things. The coolant temp switch basically is one of the factors of how rich your car will run. It maybe stuck on a cold setting causing your car to idle high to compensate for the extra rich setting @ idle even though your car is warm. try that & let me know if that works.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Re: Not an average idle problem. (creechsvdub)

I'm in the same boat as you. Everything on my car is in good condition but I still have a weird idle. Like you I have the 02 disconnected. I think, wait, I know this is the root of my problems. Like your car mine will sometimes idle perfectly at 900 rpms but other times I can't get it to budge from 1600 rpms. I guess this is the price you pay for not having an O2 sensor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.