VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been doing research for the last 4 years trying to find the wearabouts of all 300 bs syncros g60's and well here is the bad news. I have found and seen pics of about 78 syncros totally un fixable
. Now at this rate there won't be any cars left in a few years, so watch how you drive and where you drive, it just hurts to see these car upside down, or worse in a accident with a (dare I say it) HONDA. I took me almost 4 years to finally get my b3 syncro wagon of call the same person every month, until the most wonderful day of my life. The little old lady finally sold it to me. 92 wagon with 45 000 km and I bought it 2 months ago.
There great cars take good care of them.

·
Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
19,964 Posts
Re: Not another dead Syncro (Slavious)

How many of the 300 syncros have you tracked down?
I'm the original owner of a red 1992 syncro bought in Aug. 1991. I sold this car in 1994. I saw it once on the road in 1996. I have always wanted to know what happened to it. It would crush me to that it had been wrecked.

[Modified by MEIN_VW, 11:16 AM 2-5-2003]

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Re: Not another dead Syncro (MEIN_VW)

I know of a red sedan that's been sitting in Hockley Valley for over a year without any plates. I'm still driving mine with 305,000km on it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
19,964 Posts
Re: Not another dead Syncro (jay_vw)

Would that red sedan happen to have a GL spoiler? I had the dealer put one on my syncro when I ordered it because I think the B3 looks naked without it.

·
Registered
151 Posts

You're extremely lucky to have found one w/45000 km. That's a keeper, arguably the lowest mileage example in NA. Mine's got 197000, the interior has held but the rest is being slowly refurbished due to rust damage.
Sometimes the only thing keeping me hanging on to it and convincing me to pay for stuff like a $56 rear disk brake spray shield (!) is the fact that they're so rare and that I would probably kill myself in the WRX that I would have to buy to replace it.
Where's my jetta GLI 4motion wagon 6spd, damnit VW NA.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Re: Not another dead Syncro (sillysyncro)

their is a blue one in a wrecking yard in Hamilton if you haven't added that one to your list. no motor or tranny
and the drive shaft was cut when they removed the tranny. Makes me soo mad.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts

I'll take a look tomorrow....
quote:[HR][/HR]Would that red sedan happen to have a GL spoiler? I had the dealer put one on my syncro when I ordered it because I think the B3 looks naked without it.[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Re: Not another dead Syncro (sillysyncro)

quote:[HR][/HR]Where's my jetta GLI 4motion wagon 6spd, damnit VW NA.[HR][/HR]​
No kidding. I don't understand why VWNA doesn't think that us power hungry north americans would want powerful fast AWD cars.
Last night a actually test drove a Legacy 2.5GT. I wasn't entirely impressed, other than the price (Fully loaded minus leather, but including LSD on rear diff - $31,000 CND) The car had that light steering I'm not found of, that I've found only in VW. It also suck donkeys in acceleration. It was an auto-triptronic style trany. The car wasn't fast off first, but got worse in second. Wow, felt like huge brutal turbo lag... but there was no turbo.

I wish there were more syncros

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re: Not another dead Syncro (Action Jackson)

Have you driven a wrx, I've heard it's got a wee bit of lag, and then a whole lot of whee.
If VW doesn't offer a suitable quick awd wagon for us little people in the near future, I may have to switch camps in a year or so when my syncro kicks it for good. Heck, I'd even take a TDI awd wagon and chip it, at least its got some useable torque down low.

·
Registered
19,964 Posts
Re: Not another dead Syncro (Ohio Brian)

quote:[HR][/HR]There's only 300 B3 syncros????[HR][/HR]​
No. Only 300 were sold in Canada. They were also sold in Germany. I'm not sure if they were sold in other European countries but I would assume they were. I know it was not sold in the UK.
They weren't sold in the US which is ironic because the Quantum syncro was sold in the US but not in Canada. But of course, the Quantum was never sold in Canada to begin with.

[Modified by MEIN_VW, 4:17 PM 2-6-2003]

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

A couple years ago i tried to compile a list (from the info members gave me from the yahoo groups) as to how many syncro's were left on the road.
If i remember correctly i figured there was a little over 100 of us. That was just with people from the group / people seeing them driving around.
My guess now is that its probably a 50-50 ratio drivable / totalled off.

·
Registered
26,702 Posts
Re: Not another dead Syncro (N'Syncro)

Here's one of 300

1992 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT SYNCRO , 5 Speed G60, 4x4 All Wheel Drive, Air Conditioning, Heated Seats, Heated Mirrors, Leather Seating and More! . $10770. Stk# 23208A. Contact Harbourview Sales Department: [email protected] BC Toll Free 1-800-663-7025 Tel: 250-751-1221

[Modified by VWVancouver, 2:10 PM 2-6-2003]

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Re: Not another dead Syncro (VWVancouver)

A lot of syncros in Quebec...especially in and around Montreal!!
Just the other night, Davidpg and I stumbled on one in a used car lot....There are 5 for sale in the local electronic classifieds....
Davidpg saw a mint syncro last week....very low mileage!!
For the amount of syncros we've seen, and pictures collected, there might have been a little more than 300!!
pg1syncro

·
Registered
19,964 Posts
Re: Not another dead Syncro (pg1syncro)

Here's the V.I.N for the syncro I had: WVWKE0312NE001014
I ordered the car on July 30, 1991 from Agincourt Autohaus in Toronto ( I still have the invoice for it - I even got a $2,340.00 discount on it!).
If anyone happens to see this car I would happy if you could let me know.

·
Registered
788 Posts

i think there may have been a few more than 300 myself...i see them alot simply because i'm always looking for them.
mine might be the highest mileage syncro on the road. 313 500kms and counting. i'm sending it to the bodyshop this month. it came from quebec originally. all rust removed, new hood, new windshield, etc. i finally have the money my car deserves. KK has a rebuilt supercharger for me and updated stageIV software as well (i'll prolly go to stage V) i can't wait to put my 17's back on

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.