VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, a while back I used to post here, I had (and still do) a black 1997 Dodge Neon 5 spd SOHC. Its alright, but I really wanted to upgrade and get a corrado. For some reason, any Corrado owner in my area wants wayyyyy too much for them. I'm in love with Corrados, but for now the initial cost of purchase, extremely high insurance rates, and expensive parts just make owning a Corrado impossible. Anyway, I just thought I'd drop by and let you know what I'll be getting instead, since it's pretty cool, and perhaps the unbiased non uppety VW owners can appreciate it.
My next car will be a 1995 Dodge Neon ACR, but not just any ACR mind you, a NITRO YELLOW GREEN ONE. ACRs are pretty rare to start with, it stands for "American Club Racer", and its basically a neon with less sound deadening, stiff springs, arvin or koni adjustable struts, big swaybars, 4 wheel disc, close ratio transmission with 3.94 gearing, quick ratio steering, leather wrapped steering wheel and leather wrapped shifter, and very few options available. The one I'm getting has A/C as the lone option. So yeah, ACRs are pretty sweet.
But the one I'm getting is EXTREMELY special; nitro yellow green ACRs are the rarest breed of neon ever made. Chrysler only made NYG neons in 1995, and roughly 300 or so were NYG ACRs. I can't wait!
I'll have two neons for a short period, swap all teh good parts from my black car to the ACR, then I'll be selling hte black car to someone in MO to make it into an autocross monster.
But yeah, I'm extremely excited, as next year I'm going to transplant a mildly built (shave the deck, head porting, few other things) 2.4 from a dodge stratus into the ACR, and with a few bolt ons (intake, udp, header,exhaust, 50 shot of nitrous) I'll have a light weight FWD car putting 200-220 hp to the wheels for a grand investment of about $6,000.

Well, here's a picture of my current neon:

and here's a pic of the soon to be mine ACR.

Wanna know the coolest thing? ACRs have base model VINs, so it costs damn near NOTHING to insure! AHAHAHHA!

Cya guys, maybe ina few years I'll get a 'rado.

- Ca$h

[Modified by Ca$h, 10:33 PM 8-2-2002]

·
Registered
20,452 Posts
Re: Not getting a corrado; instead a Neon ACR (JoeBoxerVR6)

hey thar color looks familier........

friend had his mk2 painted that. then painted it flat black teh wed before waterfest (you might have seen it in the CFI booth at waterfest this year with the ATS cups.)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Re: Not getting a corrado; instead a Neon ACR (Ca$h)

I'm not sure where you get your roddo insurance quotes, cuz mine costs less to insure than my 4 door 95 Passat GLX.
BTW, we're practically neighbors- I work on the isthmus, and pass your Neon on the way home when you park on Gorham. I recognize it from the MacNN boards, cuz I'm there too, under a different name. If you've ever seen a satin silver SLC in Madison, it was me. I've never seen another one. Matterafact, I know you have- we were both on Johson street at the same time once this summer. That WINDSHIELD sticker is memorable.....
Anyway, I'd love to meet the ACR once you have it. Trade ya for a roddo ride. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Not getting a corrado; instead a Neon ACR (yuri1419)

Notice the dent in my trunk?? >:| Happened a 1.5 years ago. Think snow storm, midnight, no rear window defrost, black mailbox in front of black pine trees.
Dammit. >:|
- Ca$h

·
Registered
909 Posts

No, never noticed that. Didn't really study it, just had one of those online world meets real world moments- it was kinda wierd. I'm getting used to it now- I usually drive Gorham to get home, so I see your Neon a couple of times a week.
Didja ever put the coilovers on it?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Re: Not getting a corrado; instead a Neon ACR (yuri1419)

Uh yeah. cool I guess. 220 hp would beat my booty, but its a neon dude. I guess i am doomed. I would rather go a lil slower and be sittin in a rado then faster and be in a neon. Oh well as I always say thats why there are 31 flavors everyone likes something different. props to you on a 200+ hp compact car. It will be fun to drive.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Re: Not getting a corrado; instead a Neon ACR (ahbroody)

quote:[HR][/HR] but its a neon dude.[HR][/HR]​

My point also...
Its cool if thats what you want but, Neons just have a bad rep.
To me its a car to sport tune for those who are less worthy....
Why buy a neon if youd rather have a Corrado?
Anybody can afford a car payment and insurance, it just means youll have to work harder. You must not want a Corrado to bad

·
Forum Elder
5,627 Posts

Oh brother.. I got a 2001 ACR when I lemoned my POS dakota R/T (killer truck.. dodge says.. whoops.. slight error on towing capacity.. it's 2000 not 6400.. worthless to tow anything).. car was fun the 2% of the time it ran right.. they hate heat.. so worthless in texas.. so 3 months ago someone decides they want it more than I do.. steals it.. takes the airbags and torches it.. in regards to the ins rates.. yep.. so true.. I lost my arse b/c this amazing car lost 37% of it's value in 14 months.. never another dodge.. all show.. no go.. i'll agree the older ones are better performance wise.. but still.. I school'd a 2002 R/T two mornings ago.. guy had no clue..
Robert

·
Registered
465 Posts
Re: Not getting a corrado; instead a Neon ACR (yellowslc)

you were towing with a dodge dakota r/t!!!??? hahahaha, you're a smart one...
i'll buy a sport truck! ...and then i'll use it as a work truck... it's brilliant
anyways, i too used to have a dodge dakota r/t, and as far as handling a corrado wins anyday... straight line acceleration though is another story, the guy you're sayin you smoked prob wasn't even trying to race you... truck is 0-60 in 6.5 seconds stock... mad torque and the truck just pulls like crazy from 0-100mph

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

if thats what you want then i say go for it!!! dont ever buy a car because of someone else. buy it because you want it. ok, i'm off the soap box. now if you plan to invest a total of 6,000 why can't you find a corrado??? i have seen plenty of corrado's in good shape with mods for around that price. do you need my help finding one?????

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Re: Not getting a corrado; instead a Neon ACR (ahbroody)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Uh yeah. cool I guess. 220 hp would beat my booty, but its a neon dude. I guess i am doomed. I would rather go a lil slower and be sittin in a rado then faster and be in a neon. Oh well as I always say thats why there are 31 flavors everyone likes something different. props to you on a 200+ hp compact car. It will be fun to drive.[HR][/HR]​
It goes both ways, I'd most def rather be in the raddo but...the fact remains that you are getting crushed by Dodges new omni

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Re: Not getting a corrado; instead a Neon ACR (16v po boy)

i dont care how fast a Neon is....its still a neon http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif i dont think i could ever see myself driving one of those. But to each his own.

-mike-

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.