VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing my timing belt, and the other two belts today, only got to do the other two
. This sort of thing seems to happen to me every single time I try to fix my car. I even prepared by going out and buyinga few tools that I knew I didnt have but I knew I needed. I get to the 4th allen head bolt on the lower pulley, that had to be taken off to take off the lower belt cover, and I just couldnt get enough power to it to loosen it, and practically stripped the bolt. I had the right allen wrench, but wish I had an impact wrench with allen head sockets. The way I see it from now on is that until I get an air compressor, and good tools with power, I am just not going to do any "major" jobs, such as this one, because I will just end up becoming extremely angry, and hating my car, and anything to do with cars. Having to do this on the side of my street also sucks, its a very quiet street, but a garage would be really nice
. I'm not really trying to complain, I am just trying to vent, becuase this ruins the pleasure that I get out of doing stuff to my car. Anyone else ever felt this way?
So I still need to replace the timing belt and tensioner that i have here, all because of ONE bolt, that one bolt is going to equal 100 to 150 bucks in labor from some overpriced mechanic around here.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Re: not having the right tools (igneousGOlF)

Nothing has made me happier than collecting the correct set of tools for my car over the years. I now have pretty much all I need to do just about any job. It costs a pretty penny to get nice tools, but there is no satisfaction like doing something and saying, "Damn! I did that myself!
"

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Re: not having the right tools (igneousGOlF)

quote:[HR][/HR]yeah, at this point I am placing more importance on buying tools, then I am on buying mods
[HR][/HR]​
I'm with you. Mods are fun, but I get SOO much satisfaction from the little tiny repairs I've done my self so far. Usually, I just think to myself, what would cost more, paying someone to do it, or buying the tools. Usually, the tools are cheaper.
I can't wait to get a house though. I want a garage too!
ROB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.