VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just averaged 30.3 mpg (396.7 miles - 13.06 gal.) with roughly 75% city, 25% hwy. I only fill 'till the pumps stops, never squeeze off a few 1/10s more.
This was my first full tank with the green top coolant sensor ($9 from dealer, w/ o-ring). However, my driving habits have changed as well.
Before current gas prices, I would drive 10 over, shift between 3-4k rpm with normal take off and average 25-26 mpg.
Now, with higher prices I still drive 10 over and take off normal, but I shift between 2-2.9k (
)rpm, get to 5th asap, coast to stops staying in gear (5th usually), an avoid full throttle roll-ons (excluding freeway merges) and I guess it has "paid" off.
Oh, the A/C is rarely used except on really hot days and or once a month for 5 minutes to circulate the system. Work is 6 miles one-way, 45mph, with 6 lights. This is the majority of my driving.
I know the green top sensor is suppose to be better than the original black one, but I'm not sure if it played a part in my bump in mpg. I have noticed the temp gauge reaches normal temp quicker from cold starts.
Any idea on how the green top differs from the original black top sensor?
Just thought I'd share...

Modified by gti dreamn at 11:29 AM 9-19-2005

· Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Not sure if I should blame the green top coolant sensor or my d ... (-bmwM5power-)

Quote, originally posted by -bmwM5power- »
where did you get it?

I got the green top coolant sensor and o-ring from the dealer. It was around $9.
Yes, ECStuning has the same thing for a few buck less. Not sure about other parts sellers.

· Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Not sure if I should blame the green top coolant sensor or my d ... (gibs)

Quote, originally posted by gibs »
What does it do differently? What does it do period?

I'm not too sure. I've looked around, but haven't found any info. Some have said it is the updated sensor and prone to fail less.
The sensor has four wire prongs, but so did the black one.
Maybe it is more accurate, reacts faster?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.