1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
i know the last thing you want to read is "is my coil pack failing"
just need some quick advice for someone thats experienced,
i got an CE light about 2 weeks ago, it comes and go's , so i figured might as well replace the plugs, my car has been underpowered as well, but it idles fine with no exaust notes or bad sputters,
plugs were a lil worn, swapped em out for -1 colder "chipped to 1bar" i live in the south east so its pretty warm now, figured some of the power loss might be due to ic heat soak,
checked boost with a gauge im sitting right at 14-15psi, i gapped the plugs to .32 , might try .28? soon
got it scanned and the ce light cleared today, had a missfire in #3 so swapped the coil to #1 , still waiting for the CE light to arrive back maybe, car still runs like it is not chipped
also had a rich pre cat code due to the missfire, anyways
has anyone had a coil pack only fail under boost but not buck or stall bad? the ce light is steady and does not flash, any advice will be greatly appreciated.
p.s. the car ran great when first chipped for a long time,
also on cold mornings or days it is still running not so chipped.
"maybe not ic heatsoak"
i know maybe someone can shed some light or other things to check
TIA
brax
98 TQM A4 , chipped w/ k&n "runs like not chipped for the last month or so"

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Re: NOT the typical coil pack Q, 1.8T (brax)

I'm not sure if your car has the same coolant temp as the newer 1.8t's but scan for codes and see if you get a coolant temp sensor error. Cuz thats what it sounds like. I had the same problem, and got the green coolant temp sensor and everything was cool.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: NOT the typical coil pack Q, 1.8T (juggernut)

yeah only codes i got when scan'd were 2 missfires in #3 and a rich cat error code
/

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

obd2 from autozone, yeah maybe i can wait and see if the missfire switches cylinders with the coil pack, seems like it would run rough all the time though, not just poor performance

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

Yea I haven't had a coil pack go out on me yet, so its hard for me to say for sure. From what I have heard people say the car starts running really bad, like very rough. I did talk to a buddy of mine and he says one of his is going bad, that when he gets on it he notices it but not all the time. He said he knew it was the coil back because it was white. Not sure if he knows what hes talking about though.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

any ideas anyone else? boost leak maybe? :/

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

i will try that as well, doubt it will fix it though, i was havin ce lights before the plug change

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: NOT the typical coil pack Q, 1.8T (VDUBNDizzy)

well i regap'd the plugs to .28, still no Ce light yet as off 24ish hours, car still feels slow, plugs looked a lil off white and lean, :/

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: NOT the typical coil pack Q, 1.8T (turbovw18)

wouldnt i get a CE and a code if it was the maf?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: NOT the typical coil pack Q, 1.8T (obvious510)

well i swapped the coil to #1 to see if it follows, the car still feels slow to me, when i first chipped it i hung with a conv, v8 firebird, now i struggle to keep up with v6's, i dunno no ce light yet for a missfire, been 2 days, maybe it was plug gaps, i dont know why its running so slow,

·
Registered
208 Posts

Have you checked for codes since swapping the coil packs. Some Misfires can show up in the codes without the cel coming on. I had a problem of the cel flashing when I got on the power , and found a lack of power for a while, eventually it went completely bad and idled like an chevy with big cams, but the vag com showed the missfire moving with the bad coil pack.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: NOT the typical coil pack Q, 1.8T (cyukawa)

no i have not scan'd sence , i figured with no ce light no codes would show, maybe ill scan...... this lack of power sux, maybe i have a boost leak also, i need to change my oil, maybe ill inspect it then, "shrugs"

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

for some strange reason its running better today finaly, maybe the ecu was pulling timing due to the missfire of the old plugs a week ago?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts

Quote, originally posted by brax »
yeah only codes i got when scan'd were 2 missfires in #3 and a rich cat error code
/
What are the exact codes?
##'s
I had a similiar issue.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts