VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I think you'll be poised to do much better given the care and attention you've given, not only to the truck, but also to documenting the work. BATers love a seller they can trust and you've laid it all out bare in your thread.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I bought a Gti to flip in college back in 91ish with a broken clutch support and 69k miles. It had side “Targa” panels riveted to body…found the pic!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

different style to the one on the BAT car. I’ve never seen them on another GTI and glad to see that phase moved on! The BAT car looks like they are not riveted so the new owner could probably remove them without harm.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
The “targa guards” in the auction remind me of the very late 80s to early 90s fad. It was fastened with double sided tape. “Limited Edition“ , car brand/model or some crap like that was usually the decal installed on top of it. I think we called it stainless rocker trim. Everyone seemed to be doing it to the lower end cars, lol. I definitely don’t remember it in the early 80s.

Rally twin blade wipers, Vitaloni turbo/baby turbo mirrors and all the racing stripe decals….I thought it looked awful then, as it does on this car. I guess it was a cheap way to dress the car up. I was pumping gas at the time, so I saw a lot of it roll through.

Still, $41K…. Wow.

-Todd

·
Registered
522 Posts
"$41,000? That is just stupid."

Fools and their money soon part. I laughed so hard I crapped my pants when I sold my last VW pickup! Never had such a great day.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Meh, laugh all you want… I’ll bet you wish you had another truck to sell, if you made out that well.

I’m glad to see the GTIs finally selling, for what they are. Would I pay that much, no. Would I accept that much, absolutely!

-Todd

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone. Maybe not super notable, but I recently purchased this 1981 Rabbit on Cars and Bids and am starting to sort some issues out now with it. It's my first VW. My brother had a mk2 GTI in high school, and I come from lots of 914s and older Porsches.

-Steve

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4 GMT425
27,488 Posts
Hi everyone. Maybe not super notable, but I recently purchased this 1981 Rabbit on Cars and Bids and am starting to sort some issues out now with it. It's my first VW. My brother had a mk2 GTI in high school, and I come from lots of 914s and older Porsches.

-Steve
Nice score at 8k. The car looks great. Enjoy!

·
Registered
Eight diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Amazing…. I love that the seat vinyl isn’t changing color, nor is the orange, in the gauge cluster. The undercarriage was resprayed and I’m curious what it looked like, prior to. Otherwise, a true time capsule!

-Todd

121 - 138 of 138 Posts