VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone elses shifting really notchy? It's like one notch to get it out of gear and then another one to get it into the next gear. I don't understand how people can shift these cars very quickly. I've just been trying to overmodify my car so I can shift slower but still be able to win races. I know it doesn't help that I have the Neuspeed short shift kit, kind of amplifies the problem. Also, if I try to force ithe shift quickly there is a grinding sound like the synchros can't keep up. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Re: Notchy shifting? (black2001aww)

I hadn't really noticed...did U try adjusting the cable ends on the shift linkage? My shortshifter is a little off right now (I need to adjust those cable ends) and feels "notchy".

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Re: Notchy shifting? (dbrowne1)

My friend installed my autotech SS for me and adjusted the linkages as well...It feels sweet. Try adjusting it some more until you get it where you want it.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Notchy shifting? (Kei78)

So yours shifts from gear to geat smoothly? It's not a question of my cables being lined up correctly. The shifts are in the right position (had them lined up at the dealership), it's the in and out of the gates where there's a notchiness to push through. I've always had this but it has now been amplified by my short shift kit. Just wondering if it's a common occurence, or just my car. And what might I need to do to get it smooth again. I guess I could throw the original linkage on and bring it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

All of the cable shifters i have felt were notchy mine felt like two clicks to get it into gear untile i installed my AUTOTECH SS and now its only one click and a little shorter Still notchy but a bit improved >Its the grinding you have that i would be worried about thats not normal.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Re: Notchy shifting? (20VsilvrGTI)

i have had 2 mkIV's with this charactaristic, and all of the one's i have test driven have been the same. all i can say is it's normal. (weird, but normal)
also, they do grind if you push it in too fast, that's the way they all are. why? i have no idea....
as someone pointed it out to me, you need to romance it where you want it to go. you won't get anywhere in life by just slammin' it in

·
Registered
2,631 Posts

damn, just took my car out for a drive for the heck of it. and yes, my shifter is getting very nothcy. u can feel the segments for each gear and u kinda have to pop it out from each gear. it wasn't like that at day 1 when i got the car. hmmm.. maybe i'll have it looked at.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Re: Notchy shifting? (scud6661)

pulling it out of gear is fine in my car, it's putting it in that has the "notch". that leads me to believe it's just the syncros...
who knows

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
hehehe - are you guys newbies? seriosuly - even me who's been on here only for a couple of months - I know that mk4vws have a terrible 2nd gear synchro issue.. Go to the dealer - give them hell - and get it fixed - for those of you who don't know this yet - there is a new 2nd gear synchro part out there.... the dealer's are just no telling you.... I went through 4 months of hell trying to get it fixed.... first they couldn't duplicate dthe problem... then finally when it got so bad that it ground every time I would shidt over 4k rpm, they aligned the shift linkage.... thatd idnt work... then they replaced the shif linkage... that didnt work... then finallly after war with them I got them to rebuilt the tranny.... for anyone interested e-mail me at [email protected] an leave me your fax# - I can fax you the receipt for the repair... peace

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Re: Notchy shifting? (GTiTES)

i don't think that's the same issue, and yes i have read about the 2nd gear grind. this happens in all gears, not just 2nd.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
trust me go get the new synchro - and you will not experience the notchy shifting again - also add some redline tranny fluid....

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

You're getting grinding because your Neuspeed SS is too short. The synchros can't keep up with SS. Also the Neuspeed SS requires a bit more effort to shift than the other kits out there. I know some people with the Neuspeed SS and the only thing they could do was shift slower or get rid of the damn thing. They got rid of it.

[Modified by Autobahn, 3:02 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Re: Notchy shifting? (spaceman_spiff)

i got a 2002 GTI. it happens to me too. i would've guessed they would've updated the synchro by this model year.
quote:[HR][/HR]i don't think that's the same issue, and yes i have read about the 2nd gear grind. this happens in all gears, not just 2nd.[HR][/HR]​

1 - 15 of 15 Posts