VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chronicle from 07/03/03: "Bay area drivers brace tougher, costlier smog test". This was the headline of an article in todays SF Chronicle. There will be a new state-manded smog test on the 4.8 M bay area auto owners. Among the tailpipe testing, it will scan newer cars' on board computers (ECU's) for malfunctions that could cause pollution and test failures. Treadmill like dynamometers will be used to simulate driving conditions more realisticly. The new smog check will be effective in October.
Is this the end of chip tuning????
Do we now have to buy a spare ECU and switch before we want to get a smog test? I think that a regular tuning chip will be absolutely and easily detected under these test conditions even if you would have switch options (APR, GIAC etc.)
What are your opinions?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Re: (Nothern) CA 1.8 T drivers: Please read! (bjandeleit)

it certianly sucks, but i dont have to worry about it....my car is registered in NY

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: (Nothern) CA 1.8 T drivers: Please read! (gti415)

i doubt it'd be a problem if they new. they don't care what your psi,timing map, hp, tq is, they care what your pollutants are. they may be going in your port, but they're looking for certain codes triggered.
and even if it were a concern, you're not going to have a problem with APR or Giac in stock mode. the scare was on APR and the dealer needing to do updates to your stock file and not being able to.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Re: (Nothern) CA 1.8 T drivers: Please read! (M this 1!)

My main clients at work are ARB and the Sacramento Air Quality Managment District (Spare The Air). Currently the bay area has what is called smog check and most of the rest of the state has smog check 2. Difference is mostly the dyno roller. The bay area finally has to play by the same rules as the rest of the state. I have never heard of ecu scanning, it was more of a visual underhood check and a CEL check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts