VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
23,044 Posts
Re: noticable differences between the 1.8T and 3.0? (Sunna)

1.8T is more tunable. It doesn't have the chrome surroudings on the side windows. 3.0 has standard wood trim, while 1.8T uses either high-gloss fiberglass or aluminum trim depending on what package you ordered. There are some people find 1.8TQ Tiptronic doesn't have enough power but you can always chipped the puppy. 1.8T Multitronic can easily outaccelerate Tiptronic Quattro. 3.0 Multitronic is a very desirable combo because it has the refinement of a V6 with world's best CVT tranny. Other than the wood trim, 3.0 has full leather as an option in additions to leather seating surfaces which the seatback is covered in leather.

· Registered
99 Posts
I always recommend to my customers the 1.8t. I believe it is the superior engine, more reliable and costs 7 thousand dollars less when all is said and done. If you are going with a manual transmission, the 1.8t actually pulls harder on the highway. You are also getting 29mpg which is important. With a premium pack on your 1.8, you get a power drivers seat, 6 disc cd changer, trip computer, and leather. In the 3.0, you get power driver AND passenger seats, a memory drivers seat, auto dimming rear view mirror with compus,wood interior accents, and metal trim around the outside of the windows. These are a lot of options, however, the standard features on the 1.8 are also impressive. Save your money, buy the 1.8.

· Registered
1,439 Posts
if you want good power and want to keep it stock with the warranty, then get the 3.0. if you are into tuning and want to create your own beast and you are not concerned about the warranty, get the 1.8t...........

· Registered
670 Posts
Re: (bzcat)

Quote, originally posted by bzcat »
3.0 is a grown ups with jobs. 1.8T is for boys with trust funds.

I kid...

I guess that makes me a grownup...
But that's okay, I love my 3.0
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,594 Posts

I went from a 2.8 1993 90CS Q to a 1.8T 2003 GTI to a 3.2 2004 R32 & I just like the power of the 6 over a 4 with a turbo. I am not a big tuner & just prefer a car that doesn't have turbo lag.

· Registered
3,766 Posts

IMO the 3.0L is much better and doesn't cost much more if you are looking at used 2002-2003 A4's. My GF just bought a 2002 3.0L A4 quattro w/ Tiptronic auto trans. We drove the 1.8t and it was a dog with the same options. True you can mod the 1.8t much easier, but just take a look at the factory numbers.
1.8t:
Horsepower (SAE net): 170 @ 5900 rpm
Torque: 166 lb/ft @ 1950-5000 rpm
0-60 seconds:
manual, FrontTrak®: 7.8
multitronic™, FrontTrak®: 7.8
manual, quattro®: 7.9
Tiptronic®, quattro®: 8.5
EPA fuel economy estimates(city/highway)
manual, FrontTrak®: 21/29
multitronic™, FrontTrak®: 20/29
manual, quattro®: 21/29
Tiptronic®, quattro®: 19/28
3.0L:
Horsepower (SAE net): 220 @ 6300 rpm
Torque: 221 lb/ft @ 3200 rpm
0-60 seconds
multitronic™,FrontTrak®: 6.9
manual, quattro®: 6.9
Tiptronic®, quattro®: 7.7
EPA fuel economy estimates (city/highway)
multitronic®, Frontrak®: 19/27
manual, quattro®: 18/25
Tiptronic® quattro®: 17/25
The 1.8t gives up 50 hp and 55 lb/ft to the 3.0L. This costs a tick less than a second 0-60. Also, the 1.8t only get 2-3 mpg better than the 3.0L. IMO that's a small price for 50 hp. The 1.8t is a GREAT motor, but the A4 is a pretty heavy car. You could actually call it a pig with the added weight of quattro. The 1.8t just doesn't have the displacement to lug that weight around and the turbo can't bridge the gap from 1.8 up to 3 liters. Again, you can mod the 1.8t, but what happens to your mileage advantage then? The 3.0L A4 is a great all-around car right out of the box. No mods needed and warranty in tact.
Good luck finding a 3.0L A4 though. There weren't many sold vs. the 1.8t. We had to travel to Chicago from Detroit to find what we wanted for the right price.

· Registered
2,278 Posts
Re: noticable differences between the 1.8T and 3.0? (thetatau87)

I drove the 3.0 before I got my 1.8t. It is quicker, but didn't make me think of the 1.8t as a dog. I really liked the 3.0 motor for around the town driving, but for more spirited driving, it just didn't cut it for me. IMO the 1.8t is a lot more fun to drive...
It is true the 1.8t is underpowered for it's weight... but if you push it, you can squeeze out some performance.
The factory #'s definitely make the 3.0 the performer of the pair, but with a few mods (chip, intake, exhaust) you can match (or easily surpass) the 3.0's #'s with your 1.8t. And it will definitely be a much more fun car to drive IMO

**Note to any 3.0 drivers... This is just my opinion, please don't be offended; your car cost more than mine did, and you certainly could have bought the 1.8t instead if you wanted... I know that 1.8t vs. 3.0 is a preference thing!!

· Registered
3,766 Posts
Re: noticable differences between the 1.8T and 3.0? (NotQuatt)

My GF was only looking at A4's w/ quattro and automatic. The 1.8t is probably fine w/ a stick and/or no quattro, but IMO with auto and quattro it's down right slow at any speed. Also, the CVT is only available w/o quattro so that wasn't an option even w/ the 3.0L. The V6 Grand Am my GF had b4 th A4 was much faster than the 1.8t auto quattro we drove. She wasn't about to step down to a slower car. Even if it's an Audi vs. Pontiac.
I made her drive the 1.8t first to see if she liked it. I was kinda pulling for the 1.8t at first until we drove it. She actually made the call that it was too slow and would not settle for anything less than the 3.0L. It would have been much easier to find a 1.8t in her price range (>$22k) but she had to have the 3.0L. There were less than 5 3.0L quattro A4's on AutoTrader for less than $22k. Luckily we found exactly what she wanted in Chicago. Only 4.5 hr drive away. It was even her favorite color, Dolphin Gray, w/ every option except navigation, onstar, power sunshades and rear airbags. I was really geeked about it having the sport pkg. Those 17" wheels look really hot esp w/ the lower stance of the sport suspension. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

**Note to any 1.8t drivers... Look out for my GF, she's faster than you

· Registered
'14 ML350, '12 Miata, '10 MINI, '03 FLHTCUI
5,588 Posts
Re: noticable differences between the 1.8T and 3.0? (thetatau87)

Yep, same old story. Many more options available to tune the 1.8T than the 3.0. With the 3.0 you're stuck with just exhaust and CAI with little gain in power. Many of the chip makers don't have chips available yet, either.
The 3.0 is also more expensive and a bit heavier. If you go FronTrac, this could be an issue w/handling.
I went 1.8T, FronTrac and then immediately chipped it. Just my personal situation and opinion...

· Registered
23,044 Posts
Re: noticable differences between the 1.8T and 3.0? (kptaylor)

The last 3.0 Multitronic convertible I drove doesn't have any handling issue, not a single bit of torque steer even if 220 ponies going through the front wheels.

· Registered
2,278 Posts
Re: noticable differences between the 1.8T and 3.0? (kptaylor)

Quote, originally posted by kptaylor »

I went 1.8T, FronTrac and then immediately chipped it. Just my personal situation and opinion...

What chip did you go with... how satisfied are you now compared to before it was chipped?
I am looking to chip my FWD 1.8t very soon. I would rather do a flash or something but not 100% yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.