VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
It was an okay video. I'm not a huge fan of the 'make as much smoke as you can' style. And it was obviously spliced together from a bunch of different runs. The drift at 2:50 is pretty epic though.

·
Registered
360 Posts
May be off topic, but is it actually faster to drift the corners like that versus racing "normally"? If a clock was put on two identical cars, would the drifter have a better time than the non-drifter? Forgive my ignorance if this is a dumb question. But I honestly have no clue, that's why I'm asking.

·
Registered
IG @apissues
15,514 Posts
May be off topic, but is it actually faster to drift the corners like that versus racing "normally"? If a clock was put on two identical cars, would the drifter have a better time than the non-drifter? Forgive my ignorance if this is a dumb question. But I honestly have no clue, that's why I'm asking.
It was in a magazine a few years ago when it was actually cool. It's a hell of a lot faster to have grip.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
No.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I just don't care much about drifting. Though the inside car parts was pretty cool. There's a lot to do to drift.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
If you're Keiichi Tsuchiya maybe. But in reality no. Most drifters enter corner faster than grip racers but they are ignoring the laws of grip their exit speed is lower. Also they are wasting all their power by smoking the tires and not driving in a straight line. Therefore physics and stuff. I can't really explain it because I don't know enough. In rallying it is usually faster to spin the tail out in really tight hairpins but that is one of the exceptions. Again I am talking out of my ass based on what I've observed so don't quote me. :wave:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
But in reality no. Most drifters enter corner faster than grip racers but they are ignoring the laws of grip their exit speed is lower. Also they are wasting all their power by smoking the tires and not driving in a straight line. Therefore physics and stuff. I can't really explain it because I don't know enough. In rallying it is usually faster to spin the tail out in really tight hairpins but that is one of the exceptions. Again I am talking out of my ass based on what I've observed so don't quote me. :wave:
:laugh:

Seriously though, that's a pretty good little summary.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I've nothing to add except how I love how he's got on his fire-retardant mask on under his helmet, but is wearing a short-sleeve t-shirt. Sweet vid tho. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
i thought it was pretty legen.... wait for it...... dary! :cool:

·
Registered
41,826 Posts
I thought that was pretty awesome, reminded me of people on motorcycles who wear a helmet with their flip-flops.:screwy:
That at least makes some sense. A head injury will kill you or leave you a drooling vegetable; a busted ankle or degloved foot will just hurt a hell of a lot. Besides, you know they're only wearing the helmet because it's mandatory.

Wearing a Nomex balaclava when you're rocking street clothes otherwise is like... well I don't care if I get horribly burned as long as it's not my beautiful faaaace! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
That at least makes some sense. A head injury will kill you or leave you a drooling vegetable; a busted ankle or degloved foot will just hurt a hell of a lot. Besides, you know they're only wearing the helmet because it's mandatory.

Wearing a Nomex balaclava when you're rocking street clothes otherwise is like... well I don't care if I get horribly burned as long as it's not my beautiful faaaace! :laugh:
I think the end result of the two situations will be similar: your head/face intact with everything else crispy or scattered about.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.