- Measures for the affected EA189 series 1.2-litre, 1.6-litre and 2.0-litre diesel engines have been ratified by the Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA)
- Customers are being informed about the next concrete steps
- Implementation of the measures to start in late January 2016
- Important step towards resolving the NOx emissions issue in Europe
In developing the technical measures, finding customer-friendly solutions was an important aspect. The measures for the affected EA189 diesel engines are as follows:
- The 1.2-litre and 2.0-litre engines will get a software update. The pure labour time will be just under half an hour.
- The 1.6-litre engines will also get a software update. In addition, a "flow rectifier" will be fitted right in front of the air mass sensor. The labour time for implementing these measures will be less than an hour.
These measures apply to Europe (EU-28 markets). After the measures have been implemented, the vehicles will fulfil the duly applicable emissions standards, with the aim of achieving this without any impairment of engine output, fuel consumption or performance.
Our customers in Germany will be informed without delay as soon as the addresses are provided by the KBA.
In a first letter the affected vehicle owners will be informed that a recall measure is scheduled for their car. The customers will also be asked to await further written information before they actively make contact with a Volkswagen partner business. In a second letter Volkswagen will ask the affected customers in good time to make an appointment with a partner business of their choice for implementation of the technical solutions.
The plan is that all affected vehicles will be called into the partner businesses in several waves for the technical solutions to be implemented. The technical measures will be implemented on the affected 2.0-litre engines from the first quarter of 2016. The technical measures for the affected 1.2-litre engines are scheduled for the end of the second quarter of next year. From the third quarter of 2016, concluding the recall, the measures will be implemented on the affected vehicles with 1.6-litre engines.
While the technical measures are being performed Volkswagen AG aims to avoid any disadvantages for the customers, such as any curbing of their mobility. In this connection the Volkswagen brand is assuring all customers that where necessary an appropriate replacement mobility option will be provided free of charge.
Until 31.12.2017 Volkswagen AG is expressly waiving the limitation period in respect of any claims made in connection with the software installed in vehicles with EA 189 engines. The waiving of this limitation applies even where a claim's validity has already expired. The mere act of waiting will therefore not disadvantage Volkswagen customers in any way. This means that all customers affected can wait for the necessary technical measures to be implemented on their vehicles by the above mentioned time.
One thing is certain: the vehicles continue to be technically safe and ready to drive and can therefore be used on the road without any restrictions.