VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,883 Posts
Re: Nutz....... (bobpearson90278)

lug bolts......

The A1 A2 Volkswagens equipped form the factory with alloy wheels had longer lug bolts, probly your best and cheapest bet to snag a set at the bone yard, otherwise i think you will be paying at least $1.25 a piece..

· Registered
140 Posts
Re: Nutz....... (bobpearson90278)

I have used Mercedes Benz bolts in the past. They have the same thread and are much longer than ours. They worked well for my BBS wheels that I had on my scirocco. If you are useing drums on the rear, You may have to grind little material from the bolts for clearance. Nice wheels. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
5,703 Posts
Re: Nutz....... (blackzorro)

Quote, originally posted by blackzorro »
I have used Mercedes Benz bolts in the past. They have the same thread and are much longer than ours. They worked well for my BBS wheels that I had on my scirocco. If you are useing drums on the rear, You may have to grind little material from the bolts for clearance. Nice wheels. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

The MB bolts are redonkulously long, though.
The only VWs that came with longer bolts than ours, for some reason, are vehicles originally equipped with "Scirocco" style alloys. I don't know why, but that is how I have found it to be. The "long" VW bolts (ours are "medium") are only maybe 1/4" longer than the ones our cars came with. How long do you need?

· Premium Member
21,222 Posts

· Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (snowfox)

Quote, originally posted by snowfox »
What are the width and offset on those, Bob?

I'm not sure. I will measure them tomorrow. I bought them from a 'Raddo guy. Since I (still working on it) put the 11' front brakes and rear disc brakes I wanted something to give plenty of clearance.
I think now all I need is front rotors, rear calipers (going to rebuild the ones I got), and the "special" bolts for the MMP adapter kit and it should be locking up at every stop! Plus I need to figure out the e-brake deal.

· Registered
4,798 Posts
Re: (bobpearson90278)

Quote, originally posted by bobpearson90278 »
The width is around 7 1/2"s.
The offset I think is 6"s.

Look for some numbers inside there. Something like " 15 x 6.5J ET 35" or something. Those are your wheel diameter x width (J for bead type) x offset, respectively. If you're measuring 7.5" total width, your actuall width (across the tire bead mounts) is 6.5". Regarding your '6" offset', it sounds like you're measuring the back spacing. If you actually have 6" back spacing, you're looking at something like ET 57. That much backspacing will give you trouble with clearance around the strut bodies/rear trailing arms/etc. You will have to use wheel spacers to get them far enough out to clear everything.
Have you put them on the hubs yet to see if they clear everything without spacers?
Based on my experience, if they are 7" wide at the bead, you will want to see something like 15 x 7J ET 25 for a good fit.

Modified by snowfox at 4:21 PM 11-28-2006

· Registered
1,337 Posts

You will have to use wheel spacers to get them far enough out to clear everything.

And you thought you needed longer lug bolts before. Just wait until you find out how long they are going to need to be with spacers.

· Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (FOXisVW2)

Quote, originally posted by FOXisVW2 »

And you thought you needed longer lug bolts before. Just wait until you find out how long they are going to need to be with spacers.

I never thought about that with the spacers. I guess I'll spend a Saturday morning collecting lug bolts at the j-yard.

· Registered
4,798 Posts
Re: (bobpearson90278)

Bob,
Before you go get a butt-load of bolts, can you tell me if you have pout these wheels up against the hubs yet? Please try that and check what you have for clearance on the inside edge of the wheels...

· Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Bob,
Before you go get a butt-load of bolts, can you tell me if you have pout these wheels up against the hubs yet? Please try that and check what you have for clearance on the inside edge of the wheels...

I glanced at that a couple days ago. I think I will need spacers. I'll get the car in the air tomorrow and check it out. I should have probally measured all this out before looking for bolts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.