VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assembling my girlfriends 1.8T swap for her cabby and I ran into a jam last night.... I am having trouble figureing out what bolts to use to hold the starter and the front motor mount bracket. The starter location on the 02J seems to be about an inch wider then it was on the 020 trans that was in there so now my starter bolts that I pulled from the 020 are too short, and the starter bolts for the 02J are a larger diameter, so they bolt into the block instead of going through the block and bolting into the mount bracket. Can anyone tell me where they found the correct bolts for this application. I know that there are people in here running an 02J in a MK3...... TIA.
Pics for views....

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: O2J into MK3-- Front engine mount???? (Turbo_Pumpkin)

I forgot to mention I'm pretty sure I can just use longer bolts, but I don't think that any of the hardware stores around me will carry anything that long in metric......

Modified by Turbo_Pumpkin at 8:28 AM 6-15-2006

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: O2J into MK3-- Front engine mount???? (PITGUY)

I don't have 02A bolts. That's probably what I need. I have 02J and 02O bolts, but no 02A ones. Thanks. I'll try to get my hands on some.....

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: O2J into MK3-- Front engine mount???? (Boostin20v)

Quote, originally posted by Boostin20v »
I was in the same boat, my 02A bolts should be in at the dealer today (already had the mount).

Mine come in on Monday. I went home to measure and I looked at my buddies MK2 VR and they are the correct bolts. I bolted the mount up with the shorter bolts and no starter last night so that I could put the motor in there. Everything looks sweet. So far so good. The 02A mount on the trans fit perfectly, and I've never seen this on another MK3, but there is a mount that bolts in where the timing belt is on the cabby, and that even lined up perfect.... One step closer. Thanks for all the advise......

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: O2J into MK3-- Front engine mount???? (silvervdubs99)

Quote, originally posted by silvervdubs99 »
use both the o2a bolts and mounts....it all bolts right together http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I used that 02O mount, and I will finish with the 02A bolts. Seems to line up correctly. Is there a reason that I need to get a different mount?

· Registered
732 Posts

You shouldn't need one. When you bolt the 020 mount on, bolt the bottom one on a little first, then the top one. If yours is like mine, it'll be just a bit tight, but that's because the MKIV tranny is supposed to run fatter bolts on the engine. You'll be using the narrower bolts.

· Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: O2J into MK3-- Front engine mount???? (dubCanuck1)

Quote, originally posted by dubCanuck1 »
You shouldn't need one. When you bolt the 020 mount on, bolt the bottom one on a little first, then the top one. If yours is like mine, it'll be just a bit tight, but that's because the MKIV tranny is supposed to run fatter bolts on the engine. You'll be using the narrower bolts.

Cool, that's how it is right now. Thanks......

· Registered
3,367 Posts

cabbies used the timing belt side mount and a tranny to frame rail mount rather than regular rear mount. This make the motor a sort of pedulum, like the small one in the trunk. Its supposed to keep down vibrations or something from not having as much structurall stiffness as a hardtop car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.