VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backstory: I have a 2010 wolfsburg edition, with the 2.0TSI and 6MT. I got it with 67k on it November 2020 for 8k (which was great considering the market now). Gave it a flash, dv, and a few supporting mods, and just recently went stage 2. The car now has 81k.
On friday, I was going up a hill off a traffic light in 2nd, gave it about half throttle to make it up, and right before I went to shift I got a loud bang, and the car wasn't sending power to the wheels anymore, I had to stop right there otherwise I would roll down this hill. Immediately, I thought clutch, because a tune with already so many miles on these clutches could make that happen. But what was weird is, the clutch pedal pressure was the same as before, I could get into every gear just fine. There was no reaction from the car putting it in 1st and letting the clutch out, not even a slight bog after letting the car cool down. I had to call someone to play bumper cars with me just to get it off the road, and I couldn't get out of the car because trusting just the ebrake on this hill was not something I was willing to do. Rolling the car somewhere safe made me hear a crunching noise that only happened when the car was rolling, engine on or off, neutral or any gear (which were all acting like neutral anyways), clutch in or out, anything I could think of. When I got it trailered away, it left a small pool of gear oil on the trailer. All of this makes me think diff, but seems more rare than a clutch, and I hope it's just a clutch.
I've heard about the diff failures on these O2Q's, especially with more power, and they seem to be very scary - sometimes breaking the trans case and requiring a whole new transmission? Has anyone else had to deal with this or have any insight?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Normally the 5spd found on the 2.5l is the transmission with the self-machining differential. That being said, a new 02Q should be relatively easy to find, I got mine for a 6spd swap for 400 bucks.

·
Registered
9,838 Posts
Backstory: I have a 2010 wolfsburg edition, with the 2.0TSI and 6MT. I got it with 67k on it November 2020 for 8k (which was great considering the market now). Gave it a flash, dv, and a few supporting mods, and just recently went stage 2. The car now has 81k.
On friday, I was going up a hill off a traffic light in 2nd, gave it about half throttle to make it up, and right before I went to shift I got a loud bang, and the car wasn't sending power to the wheels anymore, I had to stop right there otherwise I would roll down this hill. Immediately, I thought clutch, because a tune with already so many miles on these clutches could make that happen. But what was weird is, the clutch pedal pressure was the same as before, I could get into every gear just fine. There was no reaction from the car putting it in 1st and letting the clutch out, not even a slight bog after letting the car cool down. I had to call someone to play bumper cars with me just to get it off the road, and I couldn't get out of the car because trusting just the ebrake on this hill was not something I was willing to do. Rolling the car somewhere safe made me hear a crunching noise that only happened when the car was rolling, engine on or off, neutral or any gear (which were all acting like neutral anyways), clutch in or out, anything I could think of. When I got it trailered away, it left a small pool of gear oil on the trailer. All of this makes me think diff, but seems more rare than a clutch, and I hope it's just a clutch.
I've heard about the diff failures on these O2Q's, especially with more power, and they seem to be very scary - sometimes breaking the trans case and requiring a whole new transmission? Has anyone else had to deal with this or have any insight?
Used 02Q in my area are going for $500 or less and most have less than 100k on them should be able to find a few that have less mileage than what you have on the car now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts