VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 GTI VR6 and am putting together a turbo setup for it. I plan on going with a standalone management (probably sds). However, here in Utah they are beginning to do a OBD II scan for emissions inspections. Is there any way around this. I'm sure Utah isn't the only state implementing this crap.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Re: OBD II -> standalone emissions question. (vee_are_six)

I'd like to know too. We have the same here in Texas, at least in my county. Although, I don't have to do the scan because I'm using a pre-96 chassis, so I just get the sniff test.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Re: OBD II -> standalone emissions question. (houstonspeedfreek)

I had that same question myself we went to OBD scan last month so I got mine tested in Dec.
I would imagen you will have to petition the EPA for a sniff test.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: OBD II -> standalone emissions question. (mattstacks)

Can you petition the EPA? Any idea where to go to do this? Thanks for your input. Anyone else delt with this yet?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Re: OBD II -> standalone emissions question. (vee_are_six)

I seriously doubt you could petition and beat the EPA.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Re: OBD II -> standalone emissions question. (jhimye)

here in jersey, you cant beat it
there no exception to the test

your gonna have to find someone who has a connection with DMV that can waive your car through for a little bit of cash
aint the easiest thing to do

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Re: OBD II -> standalone emissions question. (jazzpur)

i know my friend was going to run Autronic and they can do something with a few resistors or somthing to basically send a "dummy" signal through the scan port to make it look like theres no codes

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Re: OBD II -> standalone emissions question. (VR6 Mole)

For one thing to petition does not mean to go against it is simply:
A solemn supplication or request to a superior authority; an entreaty.
A formal written document requesting a right or benefit from a person or group in authority.
Theres no winning. You go to the headquarters for the EPA and find the devision that handles air pollutants or you go to the company that handles the actual testing and submit a piece of paper that proves that you have no OBD system in your car. Therefore requesting a sniffer test.
I said I would imagen,,by the way,,, thats what I will do when the time comes. Although i have receipts that show my standalone was in the car long before they went to this test.
lastly, they will be checking o2 signals not just codes.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Re: OBD II -> standalone emissions question. (mattstacks)

i need to bring this thread back to life.... i need more info on this stuff
i am wondering the complications of running standalone in WA...
i know there are lots of you out there that have standalone... so how do you do it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts