VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did the Jetta start coming with OBD2? I know most Mk3's have OBD2, but some 95's have OBD1... I just want to know how to tell with a Mk3, how to tell whether it has OBD1 or OBD2. Thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, this must be frustrating to most people. But I'm just trying to learn more about them, I'm trying to get into the vw scene, and want to know as much as possible.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Go to the mk3 forum? lol

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
wrong forum...

....but, they mid the switch mid year '95.

• ~1994: Motivated by a desire for a state-wide emissions testing program, the CARB issues the OBD-II specification and mandates that it be adopted for all cars sold in California starting in model year 1996 (see CCR Title 13 Section 1968.1 and 40 CFR Part 86 Section 86.094). The DTCs and connector suggested by the SAE are incorporated into this specification.
  • 1996: The OBD-II specification is made mandatory for all cars sold in the United States.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
VR6: OBD-I has metal valve cover, external isv
OBD-II has plastic valve cover, internal isv, and has "AAA" stamped in between first and second runner.

I know there are easy to tell things on an ABA but I cant remember off the top of my head.

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
ABA - throttle body has a built in IAC on OBD2 as well.

all OBD2 VWs have 2 O2s (pre/post cat), where OBD1 only has a pre-cat O2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts