VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I last posted.

So I got an OBD1 VR6 Turbo distributor with 30 lb/hr injectors (from Jeff Atwood). The issue is the engine dies when I get off the throttle/clutch in. This happens randomly.

Car (when it runs) is ok at part throttle / into boost.

I could be driving and I let off the throttle/clutch in (come to to a stop, etc), the stupid car dies. On restart, it could idle all day.

I still have the ISV plugged in with the 'muffler' removed.

Plugged Vag-Com and no faults are detected. The narrow band 02 seems to be cycling. I even disconnected the 02 sensor so that it runs rich all the time but the problem is still there.

The one thing I can think of is the ISV. Is there a way to bump the idle up so that when I let off the throttle, it does not close all the way. Vag Com says it's at 7.1 degrees.

Right now, I cannot even enjoy the car since I don't know when it's gonna stall. I am doing all my testing on back roads.

Thanks

d

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Have you recently disconnected the battery? Sometimes the ecu needs to remap. 15-20 min. of driving around town usually is enough to work out of sparatic stalls at a stop though.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for replying and the suggestions provided.

I did the followings and so far after driving 20-25 miles total on different days with cold start and hot start, the stalling issue has not happened since then when I get off throttle (in boost or from vacuum)

I've been hunting this for a while now and even started to lose interest in the car. I've had the car since 1996 !

What I did were the followings

1. Increase the throttle angle to ~ 13 degrees by adjusting the plunger (The intial setting was 7.1 degrees)

2. Kept the ISV connected (the muffler suitcase was removed a long time ago) AND disconnected electrically the ISV from the ECU.

The idle when warm is roughly around ~1000 rpm. That's ok with me if this prevents any stalling issue.

No cold start issue reported so far (Ambient temp as low as 50F)

Thanks again

d

1 - 6 of 6 Posts