VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a lot with my obd11, but haven't come across any way or mention of coding so that if I select a certain drive mode, the same selection will be retained when I start the car next. The light in the button stays on, but the drive mode always goes back to Normal. Many are annoyed by the Stop/Start permanent deactivation - well I find the car not retaining the selected drive mode even more annoying. Has anyone coded this yet?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
It doesn't work, even if you code it. The light and mode indicator stay lit, as if it were functionong, but the selection doesn't actually stick. You have to select your mode every time.
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've done a lot with my obd11, but haven't come across any way or mention of coding so that if I select a certain drive mode, the same selection will be retained when I start the car next. The light in the button stays on, but the drive mode always goes back to Normal. Many are annoyed by the Stop/Start permanent deactivation - well I find the car not retaining the selected drive mode even more annoying. Has anyone coded this yet?
Interesting as it actually works on my Canadian R-Line. It's been on "Individual" mode for months now and it doesn't revert back to "Normal" when I start it up, it's always in Individual. The one thing that I have to do every time is activate Sport mode on the transmission, as even though I have selected that in the Individual mode settings, it defaults back to "D" after startup when I move the lever down to the D/S position.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Interesting as it actually works on my Canadian R-Line. It's been on "Individual" mode for months now and it doesn't revert back to "Normal" when I start it up, it's always in Individual. The one thing that I have to do every time is activate Sport mode on the transmission, as even though I have selected that in the Individual mode settings, it defaults back to "D" after startup when I move the lever down to the D/S position.
How do you know it's really in individual mode? Mine lights up and says it is at start up, but it isn't actually on that mode. It's obvious for me because I have a tune, and a gli, so sport mode is a huge difference from normal. For starters, I have crackles on my tune in sport mode only. Also, the lsd and XDS+ on the gli behave differently in sport so one fast corner makes it immediately obvious it's not really in sport, along with the difference in steering feedback. Throttle response is also different. The car says it's in sport or custom at start up, but it really isn't. I think your "individual" is the same as the GLIs "custom", and it doesn't remember it on start up, even though the mode switch indicates that it does.
What's the tell-tale sign on your R-Line that's it's really in individual, aside from the light that says it is? I bet you're in the same boat as us, although you might be getting the better stuff in Canada, so maybe yours works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How do you know it's really in individual mode? Mine lights up and says it is at start up, but it isn't actually on that mode. It's obvious for me because I have a tune, and a gli, so sport mode is a huge difference from normal. For starters, I have crackles on my tune in sport mode only. Also, the lsd and XDS+ on the gli behave differently in sport so one fast corner makes it immediately obvious it's not really in sport, along with the difference in steering feedback. Throttle response is also different. The car says it's in sport or custom at start up, but it really isn't. I think your "individual" is the same as the GLIs "custom", and it doesn't remember it on start up, even though the mode switch indicates that it does.
What's the tell-tale sign on your R-Line that's it's really in individual, aside from the light that says it is? I bet you're in the same boat as us, although you might be getting the better stuff in Canada, so maybe yours works.

That's interesting! The one give-away (on top of the button being lit up as you said and "Individual" being written on the top corner of the head unit) in my case is that in my "Individual" mode, I have set the steering weight to "sport", and there's a significant difference between normal and sport. The steering is definitely in sport mode at every start up; I've tried the normal sterring mode and can't bear driving my car with that. haha! If it reverted to "Normal" mode at start up, the steering weight would be bumped out of sport, I think, and I would definitely notice. But the programming is still weird as the transmission won't automatically be in Sport, I have to select it manually with the gear lever.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
That's interesting! The one give-away (on top of the button being lit up as you said and "Individual" being written on the top corner of the head unit) in my case is that in my "Individual" mode, I have set the steering weight to "sport", and there's a significant difference between normal and sport. The steering is definitely in sport mode at every start up; I've tried the normal sterring mode and can't bear driving my car with that. haha! If it reverted to "Normal" mode at start up, the steering weight would be bumped out of sport, I think, and I would definitely notice. But the programming is still weird as the transmission won't automatically be in Sport, I have to select it manually with the gear lever.
Cool. It could be a trim thing too, I suppose. Or a transmission thing. Mine is manual. I actually think everything does come back, except the drive mode. So I lose the throttle response and crackles and pops unless I cycle every time. I think the steering is saved, because "normal" steering feels wrong, so I'd notice that.

·
Registered
2019 GLI 35 APR Stage 2 2020 Cross Sport 4Motion
721 Posts
Its odd what they choose to stow settings for. My car will save all of my sport settings from the drive mode selector except for the sport mapping. I have to re toggle the sport gearing just by pulling back on the shifter. Its incredibly odd to say the least that it doesnt just stay in sport gearing as well because the diff and steering certainly are. Granted I prefer to cold start in D mode to avoid the crackles from hell.

·
Registered
2020 GLI S DSG
39 Posts
If I could chime in, my GLI seems to work the same way as my former 2016 GTI. That is, if I put it in Sport mode, it'll remember that I am in Sport mode but not the Sport transmission behavior. Back in the GTI this was actually good because the 6-speed DSG was unusable in Sport mode. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Mine is manual, and it definitely doesn't remember the "Drive system" setting. Steering seems to be saved, along with climate control and differential. But not the drive engine/throttle settings.

·
Registered
2019 GLI 35 APR Stage 2 2020 Cross Sport 4Motion
721 Posts
Its the same as the DSG then. I wonder if its just less fueling. Lets chalk this up to environmental considerations like the car starting with the engine start stop on every time. Jokes on them, Ive intentionally developed muscle memory to combat these settings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There has to be some way with obdEleven to be able to code it. I'm just not knowledgeable enough to know how to get it sorted in coding. If anyone figures it out, please share!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts