VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any idea where the purge flow valve is and what it does? Apparently the OBDII system says there's a problem.
Is this the blue cannister that's on front left side of the car?
Here's some history: I found a broken hose and replaced it. I believe it is the EGR hose...it went from the front right side(passenger side in US) of the engine to a "T" in the left rear of the engine. I replaced the hose and simply disconnected the battery to clear the codes. The car ran fine for a while but the CEL came on after a while with the same code and "Emmisisons Workshop" message.
I spent over an hour looking for any other loose or broken vaccumn hoses last night. Then I used my OBDII tool to actually clear the codes. After about an hour test ride, no new code.
Could it be that disconnecting the battery did not in fact clear the CEL?
2000 Passat GLX V6, Automatic
Thanks - Chris.

Modified by walshie at 2:56 PM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Re: OBDC - P0441 (walshie)

here's the only thing i could find. and you have a V6, not a VR6. big difference!
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/v...p0441
disconnecting the battery will clear the CEL, but it will not delete the codes. you should be able to clear them with your OBD2 tool, however.
loose gas caps can cause an EGR CEL. make sure your gas cap is completely closed.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Re: OBDC - P0441 (walshie)

First things first, your 2000 Passat, if it is a V6, is not a VR6. The 2.8l V6 in your Passat is a 90 deg. V.
Anyway, my Bentley says this much about P0441:
Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister purge regulator valve -N80- Page 01-43 output Diagnostic Test Mode (DTM).
Basically, Page 01-43 outlines the procedure you would use if you had available a VAG-COM or a VAG1551 or 1552 diagnostic unit. If this test is run a couple of times, and it's clear, I'd clear out the DTC and see if it returns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, sorry about the engine mix-up.
It's been two days since I cleared out the code properly using the OBD2 tool.
Prior to using the OBD2 tool, I did replace a broken emission hose as described above. I removed the battery cable for 5 minutes to clear the CEL. However, the CEL came back on after a day.
I'm hoping the broken hose was the culprit and since I did not use the OBD2 tool to clear the code initially, the symptoms were stored in memory and reared its ugly head.
Right now, she's running good and there are no codes in the OBD computer.
Fingers are crossed! - Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts