VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a strong sulfer smell in my Toaureg several times at low speeds and stops, at first I thought my passenger was popping off (I knew I was innocent) but then I noticed it when I was driving alone.
I started to wonder if my cat had gone bad and talked with my service advisor. He suggested that the lower quality fuels in the area had a high sulfer content. I had been using Costco gas (they're cheap and close by). My SA suggested to use Exxon or Shell and I tried Exxon, bingo no more stinky Touareg http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I was just reminded of this when I accidentally went to a Shell station to fill up, and later realized they had changed to a cut rate (Space Age) station since I last visited, now I have a tankful of stinky gas.
I don't know if any one else has noticed this but I figured it might be helpful to post it.

Modified by Bill 2158 at 10:18 AM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Re: Occassional Strong Sulfer Smell = Cheap Gasoline (Bill 2158)

I swore off Costco gas here on STaten Island. I had the same problem with the gas when I had my Jetta, and will not use Costco's stuff in my Egg. I know of others here who said Costco's gas emits a very strong sulfur odor in their cars. I use Sunoco only, no problems so far.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts